Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear

I have a 97 Z28 It willnot go into 3rd I cant even hold it in 3rd all other gears work excellent The shifter is stock with the handle cut down.I will pop out and grind what could it be had no sign of a problem I was even being easy on it when it started.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the 3-4 synchro assembly is excessively worn, causing the keys to break. It's time for a rebuild. I normally do the Stage 2 build, which includes billet 3-4 keys and steel 3-4 shift fork. These keys are nearly impossible to break and the trans will be much more durable after the build/upgrade. Check out the website links in my sig for more info. Prices start at $680 for a Stage 2 build (parts & labor). You'll at least need a new 3-4 synchronizer assembly, which runs $130. So that makes it around $810. You may need more parts as well, but the trans will have to be torn down in order to get an accurate assessment of the problems. Then I'll be able to give you an exact price quote. Depending on your location, shipping ranges from $75-95 each way. At any rate, I'd be glad to help you out. Feel free to do some searches for my shop on here for feedback

Quick Reply: 3rd gear