Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help picking a clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help picking a clutch...

Next week I'm getting the T56 in my car swapped out because it started getting pretty noisy, I figure while it's out I'll go ahead and replace the clutch too since it's about 2.5 years old.

I have a SPEC 3+ in there now, and it seems to hold; however, I am thinking about doing the fuel system on my car and running more boost (running about 8psi right now) to make upwards of 800rwhp.

Is there a clutch out there that works great in a CTS-V that's not a pain in the a$$ to drive? Looking for suggestions...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Were you unhappy with the drivability of the Stage 3+? Have you considered one of our Super-Twins? Let me know a bit more about your situation and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

I ran a Monster level 6 in my DD for a while with no problems at all. As a matter of fact, I liked it more than the level 3 that I had previously. Either their level 5 or 6 would do what you need it to, and last for quite a few miles too. You might call and talk to them to see what they reccommend. They also have an 11" clutch that I ran with my most recent combo and love it. It's the same clutch that is currently in one of their shop cars, Ethyl (a stroked '04 GTO with a Whipple on it) making over 800hp and street driven all the time. They're in Ft. Worth BTW, so almost local for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9Wf2n9apE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMoA...eature=related
Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Were you unhappy with the drivability of the Stage 3+? Have you considered one of our Super-Twins? Let me know a bit more about your situation and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
No not at all, it drives great. The only thing I was told was that it won't hold those kind of power levels, so since the transmission is coming out anyway, I was going to get a clutch too.

I haven't seen any of the twin setups yet from you guys, but will definitely check it out. I am basically looking for a solution that if I want to run more boost and hit over 800rwhp that I will have a clutch that will hold. Right now I'm making close to 600rwhp and the SPEC 3+ is holding just fine.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

What do you plan to make for torque? Also, when did you buy this kit? Let me know and I will provide more info. Thanks,
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What do you plan to make for torque? Also, when did you buy this kit? Let me know and I will provide more info. Thanks,
It is making 500-550 torque today, but could make close to 800 if I decide to upgrade. I bought the clutch about 3 years ago - I don't drive the car too much though because it's been in the shop, but now I drive it daily. Not sure if you were asking about the clutch or the blower though.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

At 3 years old that kit would be rated to about 850lb.-ft at the crank. So, if you plan to put 800lb.-ft to the wheels in the future then a Super-Twin would be agreat option. We have four different versions differentiated by disc material and torque capacity. Give me a call and I would be happy to work with you on moving to a Twin! Thanks,
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Diamond Stage 3 ! $729 shipped. Includes new chromoly billet flywheel and new slave cylinder. Or if you already have a billet steel flywheel, you can get it resurfaced. Then I can supply a slave cylinder shim to compensate for the difference. For just the basic clutch kit (without flywheel and slave), it's $414 shipped.

www.diamondclutch.com

There are several people running 800hp and it's holding fine. With these high HP/TQ levels, you can't expect most clutches to last a long time. Of course this is relative to your driving. This clutch has proven time and time again to hold up quite well. Feel free to do some searches here on this forum and you won't find a single negative comment

Quick Reply: Need help picking a clutch...