Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce DFX - Shudder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centerforce DFX - Shudder Problem

I recently installed a Centerforce DFX clutch and if I am in first gear and try to engage the clutch slowly at idle (like when driving in heavy traffic) the entire car shudders terribly. However if I engage 1st gear at around 2500 rpm the car has no shudder at all. Shifting between gears is smooth once I get rolling but getting rolling at a lower rpm range feels like i'm about to rip the transmission out of the car. I installed a new slave and master cylinder when I installed the clutch, I bled the entire system and I have a good firm peddle.

So far I've only put around 200 miles on the new clutch, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after it's broken in (400-500 miles??) it'll smoothen out. Anyone have any similar issues? Should I be concerned and start digging into it or see if it gets better as it gets some miles on it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Car is a 98 ws6 M6 with approximately 80k miles on it, no engine mods, hooker headers, new McLeod clutch master cylinder, new Dorman slave cylinder, springs and struts all around, and a few other minor items.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

that's a pretty aggressive clutch, it works more like an on/off switch than a stock clutch so it's not going to like being let out slowly. that's just the nature of it. you'll want to give more gas and release it quicker, takes some getting used to.

the chatter should lessen over time, but you'll have to get used to driving it how it's meant to be driven
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Just wanted to update for anyone searching DFX clutches. I've put another 100 miles on the clutch and there is still some slight chatter when releasing the peddle without much throttle but it is much better than before. I fully expect the shudder/chatter to keep lessening as I put more miles on it. So for anyone looking at purchasing a Centerforce DFX clutch it is definitely an aggressive clutch, but it's not unmanageable and when hooked up it really pulls very nicely. Very solid feeling clutch.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran that clutch for around 2K on my 2000 SS (until the pressure plate weights flew apart) It sure did grab like a bear, the shudder got MUCH better after 500 miles or so but will never go away. Did you use that clutch with the stock flywheel??? They suggest not to do that, as the disk is made of a very hard material and will "eat up" the stock steel flywheel much quicker than an organic disk would. I'm much happier with my Mcleod RST twin disk. Hope you like the DFX!!

Quick Reply: Centerforce DFX - Shudder Problem