Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutchmasters FX300 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchmasters FX300 problems

I installed a clutchmasters fx300 on my ac cobra replica about 4000kms ago. Running a L76. Clutch never felt right, very hard pedal and hard to shift, getting progressively worse.

Pulled the engine on the weekend and found the following:

Hot spots on pressure plate, all on one side. Matching on flywheel (which was new, billet steel yellow terra)

A few lose springs on the disk. The tabs holding the springs in are about 1/16th thick on the inside, but like pressed tin on the outside - this had worn grooves into the springs. Surely this isnt right.

Very carefull install, everything torqued correctly. What went wrong?

Cheers

Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Here is a pic of the disk. Such little wear in the disk you can still see the writing on the friction material on the top left:

Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Come on guys - someone must have an idea on why this clutch is rooted in 3000 miles.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

This isn't one of our parts but I am happy to assist you relative to what I see and I have some questions that may shed more light on the issue. When you bolt the clutch to the flywheel with the disc in place do the diaphragm fingers have equal height? Have you used a straight edge to check the flatness of the plate and flywheel surfaces? Have you check the flywheel to insure that it is in plane? Doing this would help determine the cause of the issue. Additionally, the wear on the spring cage would generally evidence that you were seeing constant shock to the unit during engagement. This can happen relative to usage but may also evidence an issue with the pilot bearing too. Check it out and insure that it is seated properly and not damaged. Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Thanks jeremy, I will take some measurements of the PP tonight. The pilot bearing was in reasonable shape, I pulled out to replace regardless and it is still a good fit on the input shaft. To me it looks like the PP is applying uneven pressure - like one side is contacting first on engagement. All the hot spots are on one side of the PP and flywheel.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

when you bolted down the pressure plate, did you tighten in a star pattern as well as torque the bolts to spec? If you just tightened the bolts in a clockwise or counterclockwise pattern, that could cause your problem...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this clutch for about 18k miles... it was good while it lasted.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
when you bolted down the pressure plate, did you tighten in a star pattern as well as torque the bolts to spec? If you just tightened the bolts in a clockwise or counterclockwise pattern, that could cause your problem...
^^^^^

also confirm the PP ring is centered/flat. I had a SPEC that was not right which caused the same issue. They promply replaced it. The PP was damaged in shipping. Everything "looked" right but on close inspection the PP surface was not sitting flat but was angled causing uneven engagement
Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
^^^^^

also confirm the PP ring is centered/flat. I had a SPEC that was not right which caused the same issue. They promply replaced it. The PP was damaged in shipping. Everything "looked" right but on close inspection the PP surface was not sitting flat but was angled causing uneven engagement
This looks to be the problem. I put a straight edge acroxx the PP standoffs. The side of the PP with the burn marks is a little over 1/64" closer (0.46mm)then the other side.

Ill see what clutchmasters has to say, but it looks to me like a fault in manufacturing.

Quick Reply: Clutchmasters FX300 problems