Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch/Adjustable Master Needed?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS7 Clutch/Adjustable Master Needed?

I have made up my mind and am planning on just going with a bolt on build for my car. Since I will only be making around ~350whp, I plan on running the LS7 clutch. When I install the clutch, I want to install all new hydraulics with the drill mod as well. Since the LS7 is a stock clutch, will I need an adjustable master to run that clutch, or will the engagement be identical to the stock clutch? Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump. Need adjustable master opinions. Is it worth having an adjustable master with an LS7 clutch, or can I save my money and just get another stock GM one?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure in one of the stickys above it says you do not need an adjustable master with LS7 clutch
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

No you will not "need" an adjustable. But be advised, whatever master you install & break in the clutch with is what your stuck with the life of that clutch due to the adjustable pressure plate on it. So if you want a aftermarket adjustable master, you need to get one now & install it with the new pressure plate. Just FYI
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
No you will not "need" an adjustable. But be advised, whatever master you install & break in the clutch with is what your stuck with the life of that clutch due to the adjustable pressure plate on it. So if you want a aftermarket adjustable master, you need to get one now & install it with the new pressure plate. Just FYI
I have never heard this before.
Why?
Please explain.
I just installed a LS7 clutch and Slave cylinder in my 98T/A , less than 100 miles ago,and need to replace the Master cylinder , so i am VERY interested in hearing your logic behind your statement.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Do some searching on it. Several forum sponsors have verified the problem & possible solutions. They know far more about it than I myself & can probably explain it better. In the end its the adjustable plate thats the problem. I am running a LS7 assembly & now that my master is on its way out I'm having all kinds of issues & when I was gonna upgrade to a Tick unit I was advised against it when running a broke in LS7 set-up.

There is something about being about to use a press to engauge the plate fingers & "reset" the adjusters to stock location when swapping masters, but its not guarenteed to work properly after. The only sure fix so far for those of us in this situation is a clutch assembly without the adjustable pressure plate.

I know most the aftermarket masters push more fluid, so my best guess is that this in itself forces a slave cylinder to act differently enough from a stock unit to effect the adjusters on the pressure plate of a LS7 assembly. Maybe the extra fluid moves the slave out a little further or maybe faster? I really dont know more than the fact that its definetly causing people problems.

I have never seen this issue with any other clutch set-up, but then again I have never seen another adjustable pressure plate either. I know clutches like Monster, Diamond & even Centerforce arent effected by a master cylinder change from stock to aftermarket. So far its only been documented on LS7 assemblies.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
+1. JUST went through this. Have had my LS7 clutch on for ~5k miles and added a Tick adjustable master cylinder. Everything went to ****. Had to get a new pressure plate at the least and decided to just get a whole new clutch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch/Adjustable Master Needed?