Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 snatchy notchy crap when driving gently.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 snatchy notchy crap when driving gently.

When I drive hard, or even just a little hard, my T56 slips into gears wonderfully. In fact you can't even feel anything mechanical happening.

But when driving gently, and dropping into the next gear just as the engine RPM naturally drops to about the right point, i.e. gentle cruising, it's horrible. It's notchy, snatchy, grabby, wobbly. ****.

Aaaaarrrrgh. What can I do ? I'm wound up even just thinking about it

I've tried expensive oils.

I rebuilt the box with new synchro blockers and keys not long ago. That fixed the hideous grind that I had when going into second gear. Many of the engagement dog teeth were worn, and synchro slider teeth. I re-pointed them with a dremel.

The more I search, the more I start to think that this is just how this box is.
My shifter is a direct piece - no rubber isolation like OEM has. That won't help

Can anybody explain what is actually going on inside the box?

There does seem to be a lot of "slack" in the drivetrain as a whole. I'm not sure if that's my LSD. Could excessive play in the differential cause weird shifts? I'm not sure I can see how it could, but thought I should add that anyway

Last edited by carl0s; 03-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

does it feel kind of like the dogteeth are clashing on each shift? like for a fraction of a second it almost feels like it's going to grind or pop back out (can't hear it, just feel it for a hair of a second) as it slides into gear?

I have about 5k miles on my rebuild (basically EVERYTHING replaced) and noticed when I'm really on it it's nice and smooth, but when going easy I feel something going on in there through my shifter. I have a factory hurst with the short stick and an aluminum ****.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 03-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Yes that's *exactly* how it is. I tried filming it before. For a fraction of a second, it sort of bounces/buzzes back out...

Did you replace the gears themselves - are your dog teeth nice and new?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

new 1-2 synchro, 2nd gear, steel 3-4 fork, mainshaft, blocker rings, bearings, new plastic fork pads, new standard slider keys, new shims, new seals

I've also tried different fluids with no luck
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
new 1-2 synchro, 2nd gear, steel 3-4 fork, mainshaft, blocker rings, bearings, new plastic fork pads, new standard slider keys, new shims, new seals

I've also tried different fluids with no luck
Oh I guess this is just how they are then

I'm considering fitting an OEM GTO shifter handle/**** that has some rubber isolation bulit in. I just ordered an MGW shifter though

Lame

It just ruins the whole car. Between the 19-year old feel of the suspension/bushes, and this shitty "NVH? WTF is NVH?" gearbox, the whole car just feels a bit rough.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I noticed something the other day that I think might be related.

When moving at low speeds in 2nd gear, I can hear the gear whining. If I am off the gas, i.e. 850rpm, in second gear, and I dab the gas pedal, well as you would expect, the car lurches a bit, but what I notice is a *lot* of slop in the gearbox.

How about yours?

I was thinking about my Dremel re-pointed dog teeth. They have obviously lost some height. I am thinking about replacing gears and synchros. I only did blocker rings last time.

You say you have replaced 2nd gear and 1-2 synchro. Well, do you have this problem in second gear? Or perhaps just other gears?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

it's almost entirely 2nd gear, which had everything replaced. the rest is fine, unless I put it into 1st still rolling too quick then it's a similar feel. the rest of the gears go very smoothly.

all downshifts are smooth as butter also, it's really just the 1-2 shift that does it

I have slop in the drivetrain also, but I think it's mostly U-joints and my 10 bolt
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at the end, it still a T56 ^^
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

just an update, I replaced my 10 bolt as there was excessive play in the ring and pinion, and it seems to have definitely improved the smoothness of the 1-2 shift
Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
just an update, I replaced my 10 bolt as there was excessive play in the ring and pinion, and it seems to have definitely improved the smoothness of the 1-2 shift
I have a 7-year-newer replacement LSD on its way to me too.
As I mentioned at the bottom of my first post, and as we have discussed via PM (but for the benefit of others that might be reading), I had been wondering if excessive differential play/backlash could be a cause - perhaps by loading/unloading the output of the transmission. This could be compounded by me having a single-piece propshaft with no rubber coupling (car is a '92 RX7 FD with an LS2 swap from a GTO).

I will see what my replacement LSD does, and explore the possibility of a two-piece propshaft with some sort of shock absorber/compliance/guibo in the middle of it.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you checked to see the if the clutch is dragging? get the back end on good jackstands. Put it in gear, no parking brake, hold the clutch down, and rev it up. see if the rear tires turn at all.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by studderin
have you checked to see the if the clutch is dragging? get the back end on good jackstands. Put it in gear, no parking brake, hold the clutch down, and rev it up. see if the rear tires turn at all.
My clutch is fine. I have done so much with the clutch anyway. It doesn't drag, it is adjusted loads, and is (was, recently) a new LS7 type, with new slave, and new Tilton 7/8ths master cylinder, and a slave cylinder shim just in case ..
Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Teching In

wanna sell the mgw?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nightrunner06
wanna sell the mgw?
No sorry ;-)

I am back on the stock GTO shifter, but I will make that fit the MGW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 snatchy notchy crap when driving gently.