Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clean and lube stock Hurst shifter? Not satisfied with Pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clean and lube stock Hurst shifter? Not satisfied with Pro 5.0

Well, I just got my Pro 5.0 in today, and it seems nice, but it is not really everything I was expecting.. Honestly, I kinda like the feel of my stock Hurst with UMI short stick better. The Pro 5.0 doesn't like to spring back to it's neutral position, sits a little further to the right, and the 1,3, and 5 shifts are much more of a stretch towards the front of the car, and reverse definitely is more difficult. The stock Hurst seemed perfect in all of these scenarios.

I see a lot of old crud and nasty old lube on the stock shifter, I'm thinking I could give it a real good clean, and put some good new clean grease in there and make the Hurst like new and save almost $200. There's 4 bolts on the Hurst that hold the lever in place, I'm afraid of taking those off yet, don't want any springs flying in my face.

Anyone ever opened up a stock shifter, cleaned, and relubed one before? I'm willing to try it out. I know people are going to say go MGW.. I may give it a shot, but honestly I've really grown accustomed to the slanted toward the driver stick. If the MGW took a UMI short stick, then maybe . IDK, we'll see.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

you can modify the 5.0 to increase spring pressure and get a stick that slants (or heat and bend the 5.0 stick)

I haven't tried any other shifters just because I'm happy enough with the factory hurst, it works well with a short stick so I'm sticking with it for a while
Old 03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that happened with my shifter, where one side was a huge stretch... turns out i forgot to tighten the bolts on the bottom of the shifter LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hollo I"ll be the first to say it. Get an Mgw lol. Mgw's are absolutely amazing. Maybe try selling yours?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
There's 4 bolts on the Hurst that hold the lever in place, I'm afraid of taking those off yet, don't want any springs flying in my face.
When the bolts are all backed out a little bit, you won't run that risk. Just do it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my stock hust with a slanted short stick better than the 5.0 I had. I never understood the huge craze with aftermarket shifters over the hurst.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I took my Pro5.0 out today, because I didn't put any gasket sealer around the base yesterday, so I figured I'd check everything out. I made sure the stops were adjusted properly and made sure everything was tight. Also yesterday when I put it in in a hurry, I was thinking of stretching the factory boot insulator over the top of it instead of cutting it. Well, when I was reading about it, I now understand why you have to cut the boot, because of where the base of the shifter and all the grease is exposed to the elements. So I cut it put everything back together..

I must say it definitely feels better today. I guess yesterday during my drive it was fighting the factory boot insulator. I took it out for a spirited drive today, and even though it's slightly more forward and right off center than the Hurst that I like, I can definitely get used to shifting that thing at high RPMs! It's definitely smoother for sure. (But exactly how much smoother over a cleaned freshly greased Hurst I wonder??)

I also tried the "spring mod" I put some nuts on top of the spring to see if I could get the neutral spring stiffer, but even one small nut made it impossible to get into reverse, and after trial and error, I just left the springs as-is stock..
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Teching In

^^^I think you are supposed to washers.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Anyone ever opened up a stock shifter, cleaned, and relubed one before? I'm willing to try it out.
Hurst offers a rebuild program for their shifters. Last time I checked it out, it looked pretty reasonable.

Quick Reply: Clean and lube stock Hurst shifter? Not satisfied with Pro 5.0