Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Predicament

Ok so I am in the market for a 69 camaro... I plan on dropping in an LS-based engine (402, 427, etc) eventually (maybe in a yr or so), making somewhere around 500-600 rwhp/tq.

Heres my question... will the Muncie 4 speed (M20 or M21 - bc we all know how rare it is to find the M22 rock crusher) handle that kind of power? Or will I have to drop in a stronger tranny?

Im asking bc if the 4speed cant handle it for a long period, I might as well buy an auto camaro (plenty around compared to manuals) and swap out the tranny to a manual such as the TKO600 or T56 Magnum, etc which will save me time and cost upfront on the car.

Thanks!

Oh, and besides the cost of the tranny, how much do you think it would cost at a local shop to do a auto-to-manual swap, as long as I provide the complete tranny kit and parts?

Last edited by mwaull; 03-16-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

If you are wanting a 4 speed for the car, all of the parts required to build a Muncie from scratch are available. I've done several units over the years and you can do a wide or close ratio with the big output shaft and larger cluster gear pin along with a stronger after market case. They are not cheap but are damn strong and will bolt right into your older Camaro without having to modify anything at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Teching In

The thing is... if Im gonna spend that much money on the 4speed, Id prob just rather have a 5-6 speed anyway. Hmmm
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwaull
The thing is... if Im gonna spend that much money on the 4speed, Id prob just rather have a 5-6 speed anyway. Hmmm
Thats the deal. A brand new unit is on par with a TKO 500 plus you still need to buy a good quality shifter for it. The 4 speed option is really for the purish car guys that want to leave the car as original appearing as possible yet enjoy a more modern and stronger version of the original Muncie 4 speed.