Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets

We have been doing some development work over the winter on a version of our LNC 2-step module to provide a momentary torque cut on the gear change for use with face plated, pro-cut, dog engagement and other similar gears sets in order to allow you to do a full throttle, no clutch shift.

On these transmissions you want a momentary torque cut to allow the transmission to get out of one gear and into the next. Many racing and aftermarket engine management systems have provisions for this (Motec, Bigstuff3, Bosch Motorsports etc.) so we wanted to have the same capability with the OEM GM controllers.

We are now at the in-vehicle testing stage and have been doing the testing on our 2010 LS9 Camaro SS. This vehicle weighs over 4100 lbs and currently makes over 1200 rwhp hp with both stages of nitrous (I can post a link to more details of the vehicle build if people are interested).

Here is a link to video of our latest testing on the chassis dynamometer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcb-JS4HAuM

The first run shown in the video is before we had all of the settings working properly and the shift didn't take place properly. You can see the misfire event under the car when it happened (exhaust exists under the vehicle). The second and third pulls show clean 3-4 WOT clutchless shifts at around 7200 rpm under full power. The mass air flow (MAF) signal barely drops during the shift (YES - we are still running MAF at this power level).

We are testing in vehicle simulation mode so the Mustang dynamometer is simulating the weight of the vehicle and the aerodynamic load so it should be fairly similar to what we will see at the track.

Our next round of testing will be at the track.

We are also sending a few of these out to specific customers for additional in vehicle testing. We hope to be able to release the product to the public soon after we get more in vehicle testing completed, hopefully in the next month or so.

The product will retain the one stage of 2-step. The other set of adjustments is for the level of load to be considered a shift initiation and the amount of time the torque cut is be applied.

We are using a load cell in the shifter to determine that a shift is in progress. The load cell is powered by the 5 volt regulated output from our torque cut module. The load cell output is 2.5 volts +/_ 2 volts with no load being 2.5 volts and then up to +4.5 volts when loaded by pushing forward on the shifter and then down to 0.5 volts when the shifter is pulled back.

If you have feedback on features you would like to see or any other constructive comments, we are interested in hearing from you.

Attached are pictures of the load cell shifter and of the label on the torque cut module showing the activation input voltage change levels and the torque cut time interval.
Attached Thumbnails Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets-label_sm.jpg   Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets-load-cell-shifter_sm.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be a pretty badass setup. Very interested in seeing some dragstrip testing.

Any idea what your target price point will be on this device?

Mike
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very cool!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Target price

The target price is for the LNC-TC1 is to be under $300. That will not include the shifter load cell (or the transmission).

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
This will be a pretty badass setup. Very interested in seeing some dragstrip testing.

Any idea what your target price point will be on this device?

Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Faceplated transmissions

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Very cool! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!
Who's faceplated transmission parts are you using (who made the gears and who assembled the transmission)?

I would be interested in knowing the same from other people too.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Who's faceplated transmission parts are you using (who made the gears and who assembled the transmission)?

I would be interested in knowing the same from other people too.
Liberty modified the gears and sliders and Morris Motorsports(former sponsor) assembled the trans. I was thinking about sending in my LNC-003 to have it updated with the new logic you guys come out with, but I might just wait till this comes out. Would you say using the torque cut and no clutch is about as hard on the trans as no cut and using the clutch?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a very early LNC-001, been using it for years without issue. Loadcell shifter just sounds expensive lol. Liberty worked and assembled T56..
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Lnc-tc1

I don't really have enough test data/torn down transmissions to tell you for sure but I would guess that torque cut is going to be harder on the transmission unless you run a fairly long torque cut. We are trying to run the torque cut for as short as possible and still be able to make the shift. We expect some transmission service interval will be needed (especially at our hp and vehicle weight level).

The LNC-003 won't be able to be updated to the LNC-TC1. The LNC-TC1 needs inputs that don't exist on the LNC-003. We might be able to convert existing LNC-002's but I have to see if that makes sense from a cost/time standpoint.

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Liberty modified the gears and sliders and Morris Motorsports(former sponsor) assembled the trans. I was thinking about sending in my LNC-003 to have it updated with the new logic you guys come out with, but I might just wait till this comes out. Would you say using the torque cut and no clutch is about as hard on the trans as no cut and using the clutch?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Those without straight cut would probably benefit from a long torque cut. Really wouldn't slow the car but would be easy on the gearset. Im picky about my shifter and I know that loadcell would be pricey and its not my style.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

That shifter isn't my style either. Not if it's $2000! As for the logic update, I didn't mean upgrade it to the torque cut module. I read on another site that you could update the 2-step logic to an updated version for like $35 plus shipping.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

That shifter isn't my style either. Not if it's $2000! As for the logic update, I didn't mean upgrade it to the torque cut module. I read on another site that you could update the 2-step logic to an updated version for like $35 plus shipping.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea the shifter is way to ricer looking as Im old school stick and white ball type. If Im not mistaken I have seen load cell shifters from $300 to over 1k. I applaud Ligenfelter for their continued development of LS based high quality products.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Yea the shifter is way to ricer looking as Im old school stick and white ball type. If Im not mistaken I have seen load cell shifters from $300 to over 1k. I applaud Ligenfelter for their continued development of LS based high quality products.
I couldn't find any quite that cheap in my short search. I also think Lingenfelter is doing awesome things with the LS stuff.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I want one. When is development going to be complete? Are you going to offer the shifter also? You guys that say it ain't my style have no Idea much this will rock.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I said the shifter itself "ain't my style". The cost surely won't be either.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Any more updates and testing?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Testing

I will post some acceleration/data acquisition data from our testing at Muncie and then our testing at the Camaro5 event in Arizona.

At 800 rwhp the system is working very well. At 1250 rwhp/1300+ rwlb-ft we are having trouble getting the transmission out of gear. We tried disabling the nitrous just before the shift but that didn't work (probably due to the time lag in the nitrous flow and the engine acceleration rate). We are making too much torque to get the transmission to disengage.

We have to do some more testing to see if it is time lag/acceleration rate related. In 1st gear we are accelerating at roughly 3600 rpm/sec.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Any more updates and testing?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm very interested in this project
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the update. I am interested. Probly wont take long for my trans to take a dump and then its getting faceplated. Also not makeing near the power you guys are so hopefully it work well.

Quick Reply: Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets