Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anybody ever broke a stg. 2 built t56?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody ever broke a stg. 2 built t56?

I recently broke mine a few months ago, i busted the bronze pads on the 3-4 iron fork. Fork was fine, but when the builder pulled the tranny apart he saw that the pads were busted (wouldnt engage in 3rd gear).

and yes the tranny was built, i saw the guy build it with my own eyes, and i trust the guy as well.

My question is how do i keep this from happening again? I use to have a stock hurst shifter from an SS with a ws6 store short stick and pistol grip. I now have the pro 5.0 with the original angled stick that comes with it and the same pistol grip. I'm hoping that the external stops will help keep me from over throwing my shift, any comments or inputs?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Most likely it was an anomaly. I'd just rebuild it again and keep an eye on it. One issue with aftermarket parts, is the QC. You may have just had a set installed that was on the thick side and prematurely wore.

A cause of fork pad failures is resting your hand on the shifter while driving. Not sure if this is your situation.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure they were bronze? Brass will wear and come appart quite easily. True bronze is an upgrade , brass is not. Because they are machined and not molded, there is no provision to hold them in place . There fore they should be epoxied in place. The fact they have a gross expansion rate over the fork , the size you see putting them in is NOT how they operate. You may THINK they are tight. A loose pad can get out of position , rattle, wear, & fracture....Epoxy them.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
A cause of fork pad failures is resting your hand on the shifter while driving. Not sure if this is your situation.
^^^^ This ^^^^

If you tend to keep your hand on the shifter, it places additional pressure on the fork that is applying the gear and will accelerate the wear on the fork pads.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

any word on those new dupont material pads? im sending my trans out to tdp tonight and am really undecided on nylon or bronze pads.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the tranny is rebuilt again, and i sometimes i do tend to rest my hands on the shifter, i will be stopping that from now on. anything else that i should more aware of?

the first time my tranny was built, it was only built for about 6 months then it broke, hopefully this time it will last longer.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Teching In

I actually broke a steel 3-4 shift fork last week. My mechanic just looked at me like crazy when I told him what to replace. Luckily I got a free rebuild because he warrantied the trans.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GregTSi
I actually broke a steel 3-4 shift fork last week. My mechanic just looked at me like crazy when I told him what to replace. Luckily I got a free rebuild because he warrantied the trans.
I doubt you broke the fork. You probably broke the inter locking plate that connects to the fork.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody ever broke a stg. 2 built t56?