Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Issues

I have a 99 firebird with a t-56, the synchros have been goin out for awhile and I think it is finally on its last leg. I'm wondering if I should rebuild it, or get another one and have it freshened up. If rebuilding, what are some things I should upgrade?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddbird99
I have a 99 firebird with a t-56, the synchros have been goin out for awhile and I think it is finally on its last leg. I'm wondering if I should rebuild it, or get another one and have it freshened up. If rebuilding, what are some things I should upgrade?
If you want to rebuild it a few MUST have upgrades are billet slider keys, a steel 3/4 for and bronze fork pads. When you replace the rings you will also be getting an upgrade from the stock paper rings to compressed carbon. Be prepaired for a stiff bill. T56 parts are getting very expensive IF you can find them.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Where is a good place to find parts? And would it be feasable to get a junkyard trans and put it in in the mean time until I get all the parts collected?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddbird99
Where is a good place to find parts? And would it be feasable to get a junkyard trans and put it in in the mean time until I get all the parts collected?
You will probably have a tough time finding a reasonably priced used T56 in a junkyard. Most of the time they think they are gold. There are a lot of different places to get parts. I will sell you whatever parts you need. If you would like to keep your car up and running you can order one of our Level 4 or 5 T56 transmissions and we will build one of our cores and send it to you. Then you can swap them out in an evening and then we will send a pickup for your core. You would only have to pay shipping one way. Just let me know what works best for you.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds like a good idea since ill have to have a shop do my work anyway, what are we talking price wise? You can e-mail me at lightspeed_fbody@hotmail.com my name is Charlie. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Trans Issues