Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just Installed B&M Ripper...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just Installed B&M Ripper...

My buddy and I installed the B&M Ripper Shifter on his '02 WS.6 lastnight. He had the factory Hurst with the Quickstick. The install went smoothly. Now he says he is hearing some sort or banging noise (not quite sure how to describe it b/c I havn't heard it yet) when he puts the car into gear. Is this because the shifter plate needs to be adjusted or what? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S.
I am not thrilled with the B&M because I was under the impression that the throws would not only be a little shorter, but that the shifter would feel very very firm. The throws are maybe shorter if you are going from the stock Hurst shifter, but with the Quickstick, the stock Hurst feels as short if not shorter. An upside to the B&M however is that it's very smooth.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
My buddy and I installed the B&M Ripper Shifter on his '02 WS.6 lastnight. He had the factory Hurst with the Quickstick. The install went smoothly. Now he says he is hearing some sort or banging noise (not quite sure how to describe it b/c I havn't heard it yet) when he puts the car into gear. Is this because the shifter plate needs to be adjusted or what? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S.
I am not thrilled with the B&M because I was under the impression that the throws would not only be a little shorter, but that the shifter would feel very very firm. The throws are maybe shorter if you are going from the stock Hurst shifter, but with the Quickstick, the stock Hurst feels as short if not shorter. An upside to the B&M however is that it's very smooth.
I don't know what a quickshift is but the Ripper will transmit a few more sounds in the car because it doen't have that rubber Isolator on it.
Did he intall the stops?
I don't even use them , I rebuild these trannies and they have built in stops.
Tom
Old 02-18-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

It really depends on what kind of noise you are talking about? The ripper rattles more than the hurst. You can hear the clicking of the gear changes inside the car through the shifter too. The rubber insulator on the stock hurst stops the noises, but you have less of a feel of what you are doing.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy said that it is not just more "road noise" or "Transmission and engine noise". He described it as a bang when he pushes the clutch in. We are going to try and adjust it a tiny bit and see if that helps.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Teching In

When I hear a BANG on mine, it is cause it poped out of gear, you probably need to readjust your stops.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mrplow
When I hear a BANG on mine, it is cause it poped out of gear, you probably need to readjust your stops.

Save your tranny
Take the Stops out and Toss them in the trash.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

I also read on a Tremec website that when installing a aftermarket shifter to remove the stops on the shifter just like bugsquawsher said they have internal stops.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Figured out what the problem was. It just so happened to be my friend's rear end making noise because it is "blown". It was coincidental that it started making noise after the install of the B&M Ripper. He is returning the ripper anyway because he didn't like the fact that the stock hurst with quick stick was shorter and also because he needs money right now to buy a 12 bolt.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
Figured out what the problem was. It just so happened to be my friend's rear end making noise because it is "blown".
Ahhh, another bites the dust.......
Old 02-28-2004, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bugsquawsher
Save your tranny
Take the Stops out and Toss them in the trash.
I like the feel that my adjusted bumpstops give when i'm shifting hard, I really wan't to know what the bumpstops can do to damage the transmission? When I installed the Pro 50 in my '02 SS I put the car in gear with the stops all the way backed out then adjusted the bolts to hit the shifter right past where the car is in gear (roughly 100mm) and it seems to me that using these stops would just save the internal stops inside the tranny. J/w guys.

-Ashton
Old 02-28-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car came with the B&M installed and I was wondering if it is supposed to have the black boot on it. There is the leather one that you can see, then another one under this. I thought I heard this was supposed to be remove. Anyone know? Thanks.

Here's a pic, look right?

Old 02-29-2004, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

The rubber boot seals yoiu from the outside.
Leave it on there.
By the way I will be out of the office till thursday , So I won't be answering this or anyother forum / email till Friday.
Tom
Old 03-01-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

I bought my car with the B&M shiffter. My question is where are the stops located (i dont know if this might be the prob but sometimes when i shift fast the trany will grind alittle). Thanks for your time.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Launching!

the little mini boot on the shifter protects the shifter from debri(dirt) flying from under the car. the big boot in the picture keeps the dirt/water/noise/etc from the inside of the car. trust me that little square piece of rubber makes a hell of a difference in road noise.
S
Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TA86
I bought my car with the B&M shiffter. My question is where are the stops located (i dont know if this might be the prob but sometimes when i shift fast the trany will grind alittle). Thanks for your time.
The stops are on the base of the shifter if they're installed.
Are you sure your not just rowing the gears a little sooner than your dis-engaging the clutch(quick shifting but slow clutching)? I know I've done it a couple times.

Quick Reply: Just Installed B&M Ripper...