Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help with Tick speed bleeder / bleeding clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with Tick speed bleeder / bleeding clutch...

I'm having trouble getting my new clutch to bleed, and I hope I'm just missing something or that it's minor. Here's the background on the car...

I recently pulled the engine and trans from the car to do a built LQ4 swap and install a Monster Level 3 clutch at the same time. At the same time that I installed the clutch, I also installed a Tick speed bleeder onto the slave. I did not replace the slave. The clutch that was in the car was the stocker as best as I can tell, but it was still performing flawlessly when pulled.

Fast forward to today, when I finally got everything reinstalled and went to bleed the clutch. I followed the steps listed on the thread here on how to use a Tick Speedbleeder. Got a bucket, put the speed bleeder line in it, and popped the cap off the clutch master resevoir. Pulled the diaphram out, filled with fluid, cracked the bleeder end, and pumped the clutch a couple times. Some fluid started coming out, but it kind of spit it out with some air. This is good, I thought...air coming out, and once I get new fluid flushed in and a steady stream of clear fluid I'll be good. It sounded like the speedbleeder was drawing air back in when I let off the clutch, though, so I got my wife to come out and work the clutch while I played closer attention to the bleeder.

Tried pumping the clutch a few more times, and it definitely sounds like air is being sucked back in. No big deal, I'll crack/close the bleeder manually while my wife pumped the clutch...

Using this method, it finally appeared that we were getting the old fluid and any air flushed out of the line, as I kept having to top off the resevoir, and we're getting a steady stream of clear fluid at this point. Wife says the clutch feels pretty firm, so she gives it 6 or so quick pumps after I've closed the bleeder. I top off the resevoir and think I'm good.

Come inside and look up a couple things online, and go back to the garage. Climb in, push the clutch in...it goes straight down with no resistance. WTH? I figure we must not have gotten all the air out, so we start over again. Now I'm getting a steady stream of clear fluid, and absolutely no air, but whenever I close the bleeder I have absolutely no pedal.

Did I miss something? Really hoping this is not a slave issue. Like I said, everything was working perfectly before I swapped the clutch.

Help please.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pump clutch 5-8 times and hold to floor,crack bleeder until fluild stops coming out.close bleeder and due it over and over.all the air is HARD to get out,a vacuum pump be needed.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate. I used a combination of your method and the method suggested by Tick and finally got all the air out of the lines. What a pain in the ***, but totally worth it. Clutch feels great.

Quick Reply: Need help with Tick speed bleeder / bleeding clutch...