Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Testing the Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing the Master Cylinder

I have been having hydraulic clutch problems (see my other thread) and to sum it up I pulled the master cylinder out of the car and tried to test it to see if it was still functioning.

There is not a lot of info out there on testing either the slave or master other than just bleeding or replace.

Again out of car I cannot push the bar/plunger (clutch pedal side) down into the master cylinder as its rock hard. Which from the little bit of info I could find means it checks out ok.

I also used a mityvac in the reservoir and it holds the pressure/vacuum like a champ and still not able to pump the master.
While pushing in the quick connect on the braided line I can pump the plunger/rod and fluid comes out like it should

Now it would seem to me this means the Master if fine...Does anyone else have knowledge/experience that says otherwise?

So unfortunately it looks like my slave will need to be replaced and figuring out how I will get to that
Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you back the trns off the bell housing , have someone press the peddle and watch the slave operate .