Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Level 3 install/review

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Level 3 install/review

I just installed the Monster Level 3 w/billet steel flywheel kit on my car this weekend. I had it sitting for the past couple of weeks and wasn't planning on installing it till later. Unfortunately I had been f'ing around too much lately and my stocker started making noise and giving me problems.

The install was pretty easy. I had access to a lift and a mechanic buddy helped me with it. We removed the trans the way recommended on this site by removing the gear box, then remove the bell housing. This made life MUCH easier. The top bolt on the bell housing and the top two on the gear box were a bitch to get at but nothing a long extension and swivel socket cant fix.. Reason being the upgraded motor mounts would not let the motor/trans sag that much. Once removed the throwout bearing was broken and the clutch disk was starting to separate hahaha. Installed the Monster per directions, installed a new GM slave cylinder(took off the GM throwout bearing and installed the Monster one) re-installed trans and bled the clutch till fluid was fresh and done. Took about 3 hours.

First drive impression was "gonna have to get use to this again" its been a while since I have drove a car with a heavy duty clutch but I love it. Its a little chattery taking off in 1st when its cold but after a few shifts it gets better by the next take off. As far as reverse at ANY time cold or warm its chattery and very intersting backing out of the driveway thats the worst part and my wife HATES it, she said "...Oh my god honey what is that?!" it was funny as ****. After driving for a little bit you get a feel for it and its not bad at all, the pedal has pretty stout release pressure but I will get use to it and barely notice as usual. This clutch is no joke IT GRABS. Going through the gears feels phenominal!! I love the feel of this clutch and am very impressed with the driveablility!

I will update once I get past the 500 mile break in.

Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 03-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved mine and it was a bit chattery on first install but after it broke in it was awsome.

and your right about it grabbing i was getting my car to chirp the tires in 4th gear
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Im 95% going with this setup very soon. Glad to hear its good. I just hope the chatter goes away as soon as its broken in. that WILL irritate the fu#% out of me!! lol

Last edited by 808z28camaro; 03-29-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Monster 3 here. Love it!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
Im 95% going with this setup very soon. Glad to hear its good. I just hope the chatter goes away as soon as its broken in. that WILL irritate the fu#% out of me!! lol
I dont even have 100 miles on it yet. I have found the best thing for me is to get the rpms up a little and release try and slip it a little. Has been working well so far.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The chattering will go away if you break it in per the instructions. It will never drive like a stock clutch though. It will also squeak a bit if you drive it lightly, because you'll glaze the friction pads, but a spirited drive will take that problem away for a while. That being said, i like mine a lot, and hopefully I'll like it a lot more once i finish installing my Dana 60 and the weather gets nicer here.

PS my fiance hates mine too. She has no concept of tightening up her body so she doesn't flail violently on takeoff, cause its kind of just grab-and-go now. LOL, oh well.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

rumor has it that they fixed the squealing with the new Monster 3 clutch. Anybody know any truth to this ?

Only thing I dont like about mine, but when you have a cammed 3.42 geared car I guess you need to live with it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just installed a Monster Level 3 and have probably 10 break-in miles on it so far. I'm really impressed...I don't get a heck of a lot of chatter at all, and usually its only if I let the clutch out at really low rpms in first gear. If I rev it a little higher and slip the clutch, I don't get any chatter at all. Looking forward to getting it broken in and giving it hell.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I dont even have 100 miles on it yet. I have found the best thing for me is to get the rpms up a little and release try and slip it a little. Has been working well so far.
Cool. thanks for the tip. Will try that once i get the clutch on the car. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

I have the stage 3 and love the feel of it but that chirping noise really is annoying and always comes back. The just beating on it on the back roads didnt work for getting rid of my chirping. I dont drive the car lightly either or slip the clutch any diffrently than i did the spec stage 3 for the 4 years i had it. Anyone have any other ideas to get rid of the gay chirping?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001z
I have the stage 3 and love the feel of it but that chirping noise really is annoying and always comes back. The just beating on it on the back roads didnt work for getting rid of my chirping. I dont drive the car lightly either or slip the clutch any diffrently than i did the spec stage 3 for the 4 years i had it. Anyone have any other ideas to get rid of the gay chirping?
Start a new thread and hopefully Monster clutches will read it. I agree, SOO annoying.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scooby great to hear your clutch is in Yes it will chatter in the beginning as I mentioned but the more you drive it the better it gets. The smoother it will be Keep us posted.
As for the squeal noise I dont have that sound. Maybe mine is a newer version? I put mine in at the end of last year. I have 92 HARD HARD passes at the 1320 and several thousand miles.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My monster 3 is good at holding power, never makes a peep but I always need to give it just a bit of a rev to get going from a stop smoothly.

I dont like the pedal pressure though... 10% over stock pedal pressure my *** but its fine for the Rx7 which I rarely drive other than weekend cruises.

In a daily driver I'd never chose this clutch. I'd shoot myself. Its stiffer than my OZ700 which wasnt as bad but I still wouldent use that clutch in a daily either so maybe I'm just a puss.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Start a new thread and hopefully Monster clutches will read it. I agree, SOO annoying.
As far as I remember researching it was stated that this was fixed with a change to the compound.

Originally Posted by Zturd
Scooby great to hear your clutch is in Yes it will chatter in the beginning as I mentioned but the more you drive it the better it gets. The smoother it will be Keep us posted.
As for the squeal noise I dont have that sound. Maybe mine is a newer version? I put mine in at the end of last year. I have 92 HARD HARD passes at the 1320 and several thousand miles.
If you have any tips for launching with this clutch that would be ideal...

I am very happy with it so far. I am definitly getting use to it, but warn people when they get in so they dont think there is something wrong and think they will die in a firey crash LOL. I am ready to go to the track and break **** running 15sec 1/4's, I need a driver mod and I have never tracked this car so I am sure hilarity will ensue. I will definitly keep you posted, still need a few more things beforehand SFC's, tires, linelock..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just installed my Level 3 Monster/Tick MC and absolutely love it! I am still under 100 miles on the break-in and I am getting some chatter , but it seems to be getting better. It will def. hold anything I throw at it. I can't wait to get it broke in and beat on it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

FTW, Monster is fully aware of the chirping issue. I've personally never experienced it on mine, but mines also 90% drag duty.

Mike
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

I have already talked to them and basically told me on the phone that it wasnt that common till i read on tech that i wasnt the only one. Told me to go beat on it but that didnt help.So called them back a few other times and was told the same thing. The only way i found to help it was to go around 40 stick it in 6th gear and do some slips in the higher rpms. I know its not the best for the trans but that noise is crazy annoying. It always comes back enless i take off hard at every stop light. besides the chirping it is a great clutch. Its nice that they found the prob but what does that do for people like us that spent all that money for there chirping clutch setup? Be nice for them to maybe swap the bad ones out for the new design.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just got monster stage 2 installed here, whenever i take off in 1st, the car would shake violently(is this what you guys called chatter?)..other gears are find and the clutch grab perfectly..i'm using Lightweight flywheel though so i've heard it's normal to have that..
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by raysadude
just got monster stage 2 installed here, whenever i take off in 1st, the car would shake violently(is this what you guys called chatter?)..other gears are find and the clutch grab perfectly..i'm using Lightweight flywheel though so i've heard it's normal to have that..
yes that is chatter
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8BEPKM7UKKg
Loving mine here. And yes I get the squeal too. I launch at 6k plus on hoosiers no issues here. Check out the link.

Quick Reply: Monster Level 3 install/review