Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutches

Hey guys I am here looking for some help with my T56. Last fall I found out that my slave cylinder went out in my 98 SS. It has been sitting all winter at my friends shop and now they got a chance to pull the tranny. He just called me telling me that I also need a clutch. I have done some reading here but I am confused and don't know anything about clutches. I need to make a decision fast since the car is on the hoist. My car currently is mostly stock motor wise but has 125 shot of nitrous. I want to put a cam in it so I want to make sure that the clutch will be able to handle what the car will be in the future. On the bottle it is making 413 rwhp. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, for me you cant beat a SPEC. I've run 2 now, both have lasted beautifully. Great holding power, great wearability. Top notch stuff as far as im concerned, for your power levels you can probably get away with a stage 1 or 2.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

stage 3 monster
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diamond stage 1 is a good clutch for what you are trying to do . As mentioned so is the Monster , Textrailia , even a LS7 . It just depends on daily driving or how many time you go to the track . Still there are more . Do a search to find some more than meet your standards .
Old 03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the kind words projekt!
my 1st, Is the car going to see mostly street use or will it spend more time on the track? Let me know and I will be happy to recommend a unit for you. Thanks,
Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for replies and imput. I mostly drive the car. I took this car on the power tour last year so i want it to be streetable. However I do have slicks and I am looking forward to going as much as possible since I havn't been able to try the slicks or the bottle at the track yet. I hope this helps some. It isn't a daily driver but I want it to have good characteristics and durability. Thanks again additional suggestions are welcome!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

The last post was supposed to say going to the dragstrip as much as possible. Jeremy I look forward to your recommendation. I believe that the previous owner told me he put in a LS6 clutch but I am not sure if that is correct.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
FormerVendor

Though your ouput would allow you to use a Stage 1 or 2, with your plans for track use being a high priority I would probably suggest a little more clutch. For good street manners and capacity I would recommend the Stage 2+. It would be fine for your planned usage while providing easy use. Call me if you have any further questions or if you want to order and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Launching!

IMO I would stay away from ANY stock GM clutch regardless of the hp of the vehicle it comes from but some people swear by them. LS7 kits are about $450 and 9 out of ten times you have to buy a Tick Master to match the fluid flow required for this clutch to operate properly which is an additonal $300 = $750 and still get some slippage. By the time you are done you could have a better kit for less $$. With nitros you should get at least a stage 3. Also I have heard ups and downs about SPEC clutches since they require shimming and can be a bit tricky. Most of the downs are from people that installed themselves...so if you go the SPEC route take it to a professional installer. Please dont take that as a SPEC bash.

I personaly love my Monster 3. But there are many other good ones out there. McLeod, Textralia, Diamond etc. Just do a little research on each to help you choose.