Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help on assembly of T56

Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help on assembly of T56

I am almost done rebuilding my F-body t56. I am at the point where I am trying to put the case on and i can't seem to get the shifter shafts lined up correctly. I can only get one shaft alignment bolts in, either one but not both at the same time. i have been messing around for hours pulling the case on and off trying to get it line up. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks to getting everything to line up properly? Any pics of the shifter shafts and forks in place just before the case would go on? thanks for the help, upmost respect for these tranny builders.

scott
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

It took me a few tries as well, and im still not 100% i got it rite (like 98% sure) without something coming mis-aligned. Heres some pics from my build, hope they help:

85MikeTPI posted a like to the thread "t56 overhaul problem" in mine, helped me out, hopefully itll make thing easier for you
Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Start with Mike's post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l-problem.html

Have the interlock selector in neutral on the 3/4 fork.
Install the bolt which holds the 5/6 and R rails.
Lift up on the main shift rail.
The shift interlock outer piece will rise up so the other guide bolt will go into it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the help. It looks like i was doing it correctly. The one tip i did not try was putting in the LH alignment bolt for the 5/6th first. I have been engauging the 3/4 all the way up and using a prybar to keep it up before the case closes completely to line up the 3/4 shaft bolt. It was just after that, even if the 5/6 forks hadn't fallen off, the 5/6 bolt wouldnt line up. I will keep going it at. It gives me a lot more confidence that i am doing to the right thing now.

Scott

Last edited by underdog51; 03-31-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell by looking at the second picture, you have the exact same wear on the 5/6 cluster gear splines and on the mainshaft above the rear main bearing that I did. I can see the shiny spot on the shaft and the irrelgular worn away look on the splines.

Might want to find out how bad this problem is now. If its as bad as mine was, if you reassemble without addressing it, you will likely have high speed vibes due to the 5/6 cluster gear fitting loosely on the main shaft.

Just so you know, the 5/6 cluster gears is supposed to be press fitted very tightly onto the mainshaft. If you had to use a puller to pull it off during disassembly and it was a PITA doing it, you might be lucky. If it came off by hand or with very little effort, better fix it now or vibes are in your future.

Again I can tell from the pic that the main shaft is not very healthy looking and I will guess you have the same problem I did.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I can tell by looking at the second picture, you have the exact same wear on the 5/6 cluster gear splines and on the mainshaft above the rear main bearing that I did...
Thanks, i was aware...I ran into a few too many expenses on the rebuild (new cluster/input/2nd gear) so i will be addressing it later down the road when it goes out. Its bad, but not about to shear in half rite away; I should get a few good miles out of it at least. I dont mind pulling the tranny later to fix this, and when i do i may upgrade it to a viper mainshaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help on assembly of T56