Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP PLEASE - Loud whining noise under 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP PLEASE - Loud whining noise under 2000 SS

So a few weeks ago I started the SS and there was a very loud whining noise coming from the clutch or tranny. The first time the noise only happened when I had the clutch in (disengaged). Once I started moving the noise went away until I put the put the clutch in again when approaching a stop sign etc...After about 3 minutes of driving it just stopped completely.

Didnt happen again until today. Started the car up after driving it most of the day and there it was again. However, this time it seemed to be there while in neutral at idle and with the clutch disengaged. Same thing as before...after 3 minutes of driving it went away. BUT it happened again when I started the car 2 hours later.

ALSO: Sometimes (1 out of 50) I have to really jam it into 1st gear? Related? Im thinking shift fork? Maybe the whining is a throwout bearing?

I dont drive this car much. Just bought it in January as a project. It mostly sits in the garage with a cover on it. The car is in incredible condition. 2000 SS SLP with 88k miles on it. Im the second owner. I have all of the service records and window sticker...EVERYTHING. Doesnt look lik ethe clutch has ever been changed.

I am supposed to be installing KOOKS LTs and ORY with a full dyno tune on Tuesday so if this car needs a new clutch, slave, etc then I will have to put off the LTs for now and swap for an LS7 clutch. I figured if the clutch is on the way out then adding LTs and a tune will speed up the wear on the clutch anyway so I better do the clutch first.

Just went out in the garage and started her up...no noise. Just found out DAMN window motor on the drivers side is going out though! replaced 3 of them in my old 95!

I would appreciate some opinions/direction here. It would make me feel better about going and getting the LS7 clutch kit this weekend and use my shop time on Tuesday for that instead.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

Take a recording of the sound. This might help.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What I'm reading says throwout bearing.

I would at a minimum pull the clutch and inspect it. It's entirely possible it's in good shape and nothing you posted indicates it's bad.

While in there, a new slave w/ TO brg. is what I'd be doing. It's not a bad idea to review the OEM parts vs. Tick's offerings and maybe do master/slave together.

If the clutch looks good, enjoy your new LTs.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

The intermittent part of this makes me not want to jump to the obvious conclusion before hearing the noise.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag
The intermittent part of this makes me not want to jump to the obvious conclusion before hearing the noise.
The problem is that it has only done it twice (well three times, but two were on one day/consecutive starts) so its nearly impossible for me to record the noise because I cant make it happen.

From what I can tell this car has the original clutch. I have all of the service record from the original owner and the clutch wasnt addressed on any of the records. The noise originally ONLY happened when the clutch pedal was in which made me think it was clutch related (i.e. throwout bearing).

The clutch seems to be working alright...cant really scratch from first to second anymore unless I get the rpms way up to around 5k. Also an indication that the clutch might be getting worn.

Again...I have to make a decision on this today. I have an appointment for shop time tomorrow and i need to get the LS7 kit today if im going with the clutch.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TO bearing or maybe Pilot Bushing/bearing would be my thoughts. I kinda doubt the pilot bushing though.

Re Window motor:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...dow-motor.html
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 AM

Ok so I'm just a sucker for my car. Purchased an LS7 clutch kit, new slave, new pilot bearing today.

Still getting KOOKS tomorrow. They have 8 months of use on them. Installed with a dyno tune for $1500 by ForceFed Performance in Sacramento. Can't wait!

Clutch kit in the garage. I'll do it in a couple weeks.