Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble with McLoed Street Twin

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble with McLoed Street Twin

I got my car out of storage today, While in 4th gear I passed a car I probably pulled up to 80ish. When I got around the car I was passing I started coasting and pushed the clutch in to shift into 6th gear. When I pushed clutch in I got a lot of vibration and couldn't shift into any gear. So I left it in neutral and continued coasting with it in neutral (the vibration still continuing) I tried a couple of more times to get into gear and couldn't. Finally around 55 the vibration stopped and I was able to shift into 6th. I continued on my way and the car drove fine and was able to shift without issues.

I seem to recall this has happened to me before, if I recall correctly it was almost the exact same situation.

Any recommendations on what it could be. If I need to pull the tranny any things I should be looking for on the clutch?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't immediately blame the clutch, but wouldn't rule it out either.. What shape is the hyd system in? What master, what slave, age, drill mod?, fluid type and age.. I would do the drill mod if not already, flush the fluid, and rebleed the system. If none of that helps, pull the trans to inspect the clutch, but also the pilot bearing/bushing.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to say. Could be the clutch or tranny but I'm thinking the pilot bearing is destroyed in there.That would cause the vibration and the needle bearings getting stuck in the clutch disks could cause the clutch not to work.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Using the McLeod Adjustable master, slave I purchased from RockAuto cant remember the brand. Haven't done the drill mod, I didn't know that applied to the LT1's? Fluid is ATE Super blue. The fluid and slave and pilot busing have under 5k miles, I purchased the trans, clutch and master from a guy he claimed under 5k miles on the setup.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
FormerVendor

If you do decide to pull the tranny. Send me some pictures of the unit and we can help you make a better determination of what's going on.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Billy, If I decide to pull the tranny I will be sure to send you some pictures. I am going to start with re-bleeding the clutch and doing the drill mod and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bleeding the clutch will not fix a vibration. Fix it right.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

You won't have to do the drill mod. I didn't catch it earlier that you were LT1, instead of LS1.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Bleeding the clutch will not fix a vibration. Fix it right.
Isn't is possible bad hydraulics could cause the clutch to not disengage properly and possibly cause a vibration?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

yes. and depending on when you got your master, it may have gone bad. Some of the earlier mcleod masters had seal trouble and would leak past the seals. Any moisture in your fluid may have caused spot rusting over time and degraded the seals too.

Quick Reply: Trouble with McLoed Street Twin