Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Question

Question for you guys,

I have a LQ4/T56 in my 69 Camaro, I can get the trans to go into 1st,5th, and 6th gear when running. No 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When I start the car up with the trans in each individual gear I can get the tires to move with the rear on jack stands. I'm thinking its the 3/4 shift rail and probably syncro's. But I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has ideas before I go through and take the trans out and rebuild it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In general, issues with multiple, unrelated gears is almost always the hydraulics and/or clutch. The only quick thing to check is making sure any shifter stops are backed completely off and not interfering with the engagement.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Default t56 question

Thanks Mike,

As far as hydraulics, the clutch works and will engage and disengage when the car is running, When I have the car off I can click into any gear and start the car up engage the clutch and the wheels will turn with the car on jack stands. When the car is running I can get the trans to go into 1st, 5th and 6th gears but it is hard to find 2nd 3rd and 4th when the car is on. The fact that it will go into gear when not running makes me think that it is not a shifter issue, and the clutch works, so it leads me to believe that I probably need a rebuild, but I wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems like this.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Is this a new install? Did it work one day and not the next, need a little back ground info.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WVUSierraC3
Thanks Mike,

As far as hydraulics, the clutch works and will engage and disengage when the car is running, When I have the car off I can click into any gear and start the car up engage the clutch and the wheels will turn with the car on jack stands. When the car is running I can get the trans to go into 1st, 5th and 6th gears but it is hard to find 2nd 3rd and 4th when the car is on. The fact that it will go into gear when not running makes me think that it is not a shifter issue, and the clutch works, so it leads me to believe that I probably need a rebuild, but I wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems like this.

Thanks again,
Tom
What do you mean by the car being "on" ? If you can't get the trans into gears with the clutch in, motor running, and not moving, it's 100% clutch or hydraulics. If you can't get the trans into gears with the car moving, but you can when its' running and still, then you start looking at synchros/blockers/etc.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Default Re:t56

On=Car Running

1st 5th and 6th will go in when the car is running with clutch pushed in etc.
2nd 3rd and 4th will not go in with the car running but will go in when the car is not running and I can start the car with the trans in 2nd 3rd and 4th and get the wheels to turn with the wheels off the ground when I let the clutch out. So clutch problems don't cross my mind at this time. No grinding or kicking or anything like that.

History on this Trans was it was supposed to work when I got it from a kid about 2 years ago, but we all know how those stories go.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Reread my previous post.. If it's not a shifting issue when driving, it's not an internal trans problem, its a clutch or hyd problem...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Default t56

So basically it will go into some gears and not others because the master is not bled good enough?

Because Like I said I can put the trans in any gear while the motor is off and start the car up, release the clutch and it will move the tires with it up on Jack stands. It just seems internal to me that I can't put the trans into 2nd 3rd and 4th while the car is running, I basically cant even find those gears with the car running that's why I figured it was internal aka 3-4 shift rail since they are prone to bending and 2nd gear syncro because anyone who shifts the car hard from 1-2 will beat up on the syncro.

Once again Thanks for the help
Tom
Old 04-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Default t56

Also sorry I didn't mention this before but I have an LS7 clutch LS2 flywheel, new Tick master Cylinder and new hydraulic throw out bearing.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Think of it this way. If the hyd's and clutch are working 100%, the transmission will not know the difference between when the car is not running, and when the car is running with the clutch pedal pressed. If it does work differently (like you're seeing), then something is wrong with the hyd's, clutch, or the pilot is seized.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Default T56

Thanks Mike,

I guess I'm gonna be spending tomorrow bleeding the hell out of it and hopefully that will fix it. I'll keep you updated on how it works out.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There's no need to bleed the hell out of it.
Get mostly new fluid in and follow the jmd method:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13837919-post3.html
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Alright Guys thanks for all your help.

I bled it to the tilt putting through probably 3-4 pints of DOT 4 to completely flush the system. After that I had all gears working except 2 and 3, so I got under the car and was looking at the trans and realized that I had a plug in the skip shift solenoid, and since this is a 69 Camaro I'm not using that. So I unplugged it started the car up and sweetness.

So Thanks Again guys

Tom
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Not to hijack, but I have a similar situation with my T56. Trans out of car and I can not get it to row thru the gears. Is this normal or do I have some majors issues I'm looking at? Bought trans a year ago out of a 98 camaro with what I'm told 34k miles on it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBollWeevil97
Not to hijack, but I have a similar situation with my T56. Trans out of car and I can not get it to row thru the gears. Is this normal or do I have some majors issues I'm looking at? Bought trans a year ago out of a 98 camaro with what I'm told 34k miles on it.
With a shifter bolted to a loose trans, you should be able to shift into all gears; obviously having to "crash" to the right to get into the reverse gate. A 98 with 34k in 2010 would be tough to buy, no pun intended. Might want to start your own thread and outline what the shifter will and will not do, in detail.

Quick Reply: T56 Question