Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it normal to get more vibration with.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal to get more vibration with.....

A short stick and poly trans bashing compared to stock stuff? I assume it is,but I just finished my clutch install and I am a little paranoid.

So far it feels way way better. The factory clutch was worse than I thought. I installed a new flywheel along with a RAM hdx kit, new tm slave/master cylinder, ws6 store short stick, polytrans mount and a ws6 store skip shift eliminator. It was my first ever clutch install and ill admit it sucked &%#.

Edit..... the vibration I speak of is in the shifter. It isn't bad, but noticeably more than stock.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well something else is wrong and it has to come back apart. If I get into a gear where the rpms are low I get nasty vibration. I'm wondering if I have a internal issue or a pilot bearing.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

If you didnt replace the bearing while you were in there before I would replace it anyhow.. Make sure everything is tq'd to spec.. That is crucial for the clutch to operate properly . The poly bushing will tighten things up quite a bit.. Is the vibration only while in gear? Is it at a certain speed or just RPM?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems to only do it at lower rpms. 3rd through 5th seem worse since I rarely see lower than 2k in first and second. I torqued everything to spec, but I didn't change the bushing and was pretty rough when I reinstalled the transmission. I have a tranny jack now so hopefully things go smoother.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Its the trans mount! I had a poly one on an tried to hold out for a few weeks thinking it was going to get better. Put the stock one back on and all vibrations went away. Try that first, it takes 5 minutes.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try it but it was doing this some before with the stock mount.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought I would go ahead and let everyone know how everything played out. My car was 100% stock before the clutch install and I was getting some nasty noise from the throwout bearing and sometimes at low RPMs. I tore it apart and installed a new flywheel, clutch, PP, TO bearing, poly tranny mount, slave/master and a ws6 store short stick.

After all that something wasn't right. I was still getting the vibration at low rpm in higher gears so I tore it all back apart. Everything looked fine, but I went ahead and changed the pilot bushing because people said it can cause vibration/hard shifting. So I get it all back together with the factory tranny mount and everything is better, but I still have a loud very strange noise.

Now I am getting pissed...calling ws6store about getting a new clutch kit ect ect and calling my car every name in the book. So today I decide to throw the stock shifter stick back on because I swear it is making noise. No one believes me that it could cause anything, but I swear it is vibration and making noise. Lo and behold that was it. There was a very loud and noticeable noise coming from that short stick. The factory non-hurst shifter with the short stick must have absorbed to much vibration or something.

Been driving it all day today without any noise....May this be a lesson to rule out the small things first, and always change that stupid pilot bearing before you put it back together the first time.

Quick Reply: Is it normal to get more vibration with.....