Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch won't disengage

I just put an ls7 clutch kit in my trans am this weekend and now I can't get the clutch to disengage. While replacing the clutch, I also put in a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, throwout bearing and remote bleeder. I've been bleeding the system, but can't seem to get the clutch to firm up 100%. I've depressed the clutch, cracked the bleeder, drained the the fluid, tightened the fitting and then repeated the process, but still can't seem to make any progress. I've also put a mity vac on the reservior and tried to bleed that way. When I depress the clutch and try to put it into gear, it wont go in but the wheels start to slowly spin.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be or where I may be going wrong?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Teching In

So I bled the hydraulics some more tonight and made a little progress. I can now get the car into gear (still kind of hard), but the wheels still spin a little when the clutch is to the floor. As soon as I lift the pedal the slightest bit, the clutch engages. Does the factory slave require shims with the LS7 clutch or is it most likely air still in the system?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

You should not need a shim with the LS7 clutch unless you have turned your flywheel..

If not, I am going with air in the system.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

I strongly suggest the use of vacuum or pressure when bleeding this system. I normally use a mighty-vac and connect to both the bleeder valve on the slave and to the reservoir to insure that all the air is pulled from the system. So many times the "pump the pedal and crack the bleeder" method simply does not fully draw the air from the system. Give it a shot and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

After continuing to bleed the system, I am finally able to get the car into gear. Unfortunately, the clutch disengages 1/2" off the floor. I am able to drive the car but I can't shift fast with this setup. Will the pedal come up after use, or could there still be a little air in the system? What is the best way to bleed this system? I've tried the mighty vac from the top and bottom, as well as the traditional pedal pumping method. I have also hooked a pressure bleeder to the master cylinder and then cracked the bleeder screw to let fluid run through the system. When I unhook the master cylinder quick disconnect, the pedal is rock hard. What could my problem be?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

If the pedal is consistent in terms of effort and engagement point then you have likely released all the air in the system. If you still have issues with release you may be seeing a problem with the SAC mechanism utilized in the stock LS7 clutch assembly. Also, do you know if the flywheel was new or used? If it has been machined previously or incorrectly this could affect clutch release. Though this is less likely because the engagement point is indicated to be mid-pedal.

Quick Reply: Clutch won't disengage