Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

c5 non zo6 internals in 99 f-body case?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

Default c5 non zo6 internals in 99 f-body case?

my 99 camaro needs a trans rebuild and i found a great deal on a good low mileage c5 trans. can the c5 trans be converted to an f-body or can i put the internals in my trans? if i can put the c5 internals in my trans is there anything i would need to buy? thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just called D&D performance about this today. I also want to do the triple/double swap into my t56. Yes you can put the c5 internals into your transmission, the tricky part is the output shaft. I'm not exaclty sure what is involved with the output shaft. They are suppose to call me back, but if you can pick up a base model c5 t56 up on the cheap, id get it.
I've been looking for c5. I found a 2004 Z06 t56 with 36,000 miles for $500. I would have bought it right there if it wasn't a z06.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to get a GTO T56 mainshaft and it's a fairly simple swap. You can also use a SSR 32-spline mainshaft for extra strength, or a G-force 30-spline 9310 mainshaft to go all out and $600 a pop..

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28..._Fbody_T56.pdf
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

very good! i think changing over to the triple/double syncro setup is the best option for an f-body trans, and like you said you can go big with the mainshafts if theres the need. best part is a non zo6 c5 t56s are around for cheap. been doing a lot of reading and this seems like the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As already mentioned, this can be done. However, unless you plan on re-using all the components that wear from the vette donor transmission you're going to spend a good bit more on the rebuild kit....specifically the blocker rings. To me it seems like a lot of extra money and work for a modification that will net you the same gear ratios as you already have and IMO a weaker blocker ring design when you get rough with it. I've seen far more cracked blockers in the vette and GTO transmissions (the outer steel ring cracks and spreads open on 2nd and 3rd gears) which results in a grind with virtually every shift. Many of the non zo6 vette trannys will have the old style paper blocker rings as well...so you'd want to upgrade those for sure if thats what you wind up with.

All the cobras and vipers use the same blocker ring design as the f-body.

And for anyone thinking about doing this using a Z06 trans....just buy a GTO trans and sell us your f-body core t56 for $500 No need to swap anything....the GTO uses the tripple/double design and will bolt in a f-body with no issues. They are the same externally and the only difference is the rear offset lever which can be changed in about 30 seconds.

Having a properly functioning clutch/hydraulic system will do way more for smooth shifts than tripple cone syncros ever will.

Quick Reply: c5 non zo6 internals in 99 f-body case?