Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question

Do I need to change the master cylinder or slave cylinder when changing the clutch? The shop I took it to said one of them didn't look so good (don't remember which, too tired) and asked if I wanted it replaced while he was at it. If you guys think I need one, will a stock 01-02 one work, or with the bigger motor and stuff do I need a special one?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Nobody?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I guess people including myself are having trouble answering the questions because we dont know what "bigger motor and stuff" means..

If you are currently running a standard LSx clutch/slave/stock mc and it works:

I would replace the hydraulics if you have the money. Keeping the parts fresh is always a good idea as removing the trans again to replace a cheap TO/pilot bearing/Slave ect can cost you big time especially if you have a shop do it. Tick offers an amazing Master Cyl. and 01 02 slave will work.

In the very least replace the Slave/TO bearing and pilot bearing .. The Tick MC is just an amazing addition to any setup.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Sorry, I was referring to the 408 and the Tick built 6 speed. I wish I had more info, but I've just got too much on my mind and not enough time to properly keep up with everything right now. I'm not sure what master/slave is currently in, though I have replaced the stock stuff at least once, maybe twice.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

How many miles on the hydro's? If there is a good amount then yes, they should be changed with the rebuild. Look at it like this. your trans is already down. Why not just replace the $75 slave and save yourself the trouble of having to drop the trans again if it goes. Good time to upgrade to the Tick M/C too.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Thanks guys. Tick adjustable is ordered. There was at least 40k miles on the master cylinder, if not more; but the slave was changed less than 20k ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Awesome!! You will be very happy with the Tick unit..

Make sure you carefully follow the instructions.. There have been a few new slaves damaged from over adjusting the MC lately.. Any questions just start a new thread.

Quick Reply: Quick question