Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Swap is underway (New to LS1Tech!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Swap is underway (New to LS1Tech!!!)

First of all let me start by saying hi! My name is Nick and i own a 1995 Trans Am.Im pretty tall standing at 6'6 and sit pretty comfortably in my T/A. Im a member or Firebird Nation. I liked the message board but lately im not getting the help i need. Dont get me wrong i love them but im just looking else where. But i do contribute to boards. So start with a question. Thanks

Ok i having my cake and eating it too! After contemplating and crunching the numbers. Im doing a T56 swap from my sorry 4L60E. Second trans in a yeare all went the same way 3rd and 4th gears are shot. But i found a T56 for 900 buck comes complete with everything i need minus clutch pedals, shifter, and slave cylinder. Transmission has 65K on it. Said it shifts perfect not grind or throwing outta gear. My friend uncle whose a ASE certified mechanic is going to do the swap. Ill be helping. hes done this swap countless times. I read the write ups and i proably keep missing the answer. Do i need a new wiring harness and computer. I heard i could just reflash mine at a dealership. OH ANOTHER BIG QUESTION!!! Anyone that has done the swap. How is it after you put it in. Like was there any problems i should expect to run into? I proably should put a new clutch in it also and flywheel huh?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome.

i just did it on my ls1 in the fall and i handled it slowly by myself in my garage. read through the sticky that is provided for you here and youll see that there is plenty of LS info in there, which most of should translate to LT vehicles.

As far as the reflash goes, i honestly dont know about LT1 vehicles, On my 2000 Ls1, i just reflashed the PCM to an M6. no need to swap wiring over. my only advice is to pay attention to the wiring side of things, theres a good little bit that has to be done, so be sure to solder and heat shrink all of it.

post up if there is anything else you think you need, and good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
welcome.

i just did it on my ls1 in the fall and i handled it slowly by myself in my garage. read through the sticky that is provided for you here and youll see that there is plenty of LS info in there, which most of should translate to LT vehicles.

As far as the reflash goes, i honestly dont know about LT1 vehicles, On my 2000 Ls1, i just reflashed the PCM to an M6. no need to swap wiring over. my only advice is to pay attention to the wiring side of things, theres a good little bit that has to be done, so be sure to solder and heat shrink all of it.

post up if there is anything else you think you need, and good luck
Thanks man. Yeah i been reading up on the swap. I was just confused about the Reflash but yea the wiring is the only gray area im confused on. But doing all by yourself mustove been tough. I'm having help though. But did you encounter any problems after the install? I hear some people say that the car still wont drive like a true manual cause it didnt come from the factory with one? i dont see why not though

Last edited by 95Transamkid; 04-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Teching In

I just swapped my 2002 z28 4l60e with a t56, smooth sailing, really only 3 circuits to worry about, P N position that you will wire to clutch depressed switch for engine start. P N positin for back up lights wired to reverse switch on trans and soider two wires together for rear hatch. You will need to check if you can flash your 95. that is OBD 1 and some cannot be flashed due to age, if it has a prom, you might be able to swap with a 6spd prom. Also bleed master before connecting it to slave for final bleeding, youll save alot of time.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Oh, and it looks factory from shifter plate to pedal and under hood, it drives like it was factory 6spd. Do it right and no one will tell the difference.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VoggsZ28
Oh, and it looks factory from shifter plate to pedal and under hood, it drives like it was factory 6spd. Do it right and no one will tell the difference.
Nice that's what I wanted to hear everyones been helpful. Thanks about the advice on the circuits. Did you do this by yourself too? Oh &?!@ I forgot mines an obd1 that's gonna make it more difficult . I missed it by one year
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Welcome ! Iam getting ready to do a t56 swap into my 95 also . The only flash i know needs to be done is for the speed sensor .
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

I did my 99 T/A couple months ago works as if it was factory. Just follow the sticky and you will be fine. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For some reason I want to say that the computer needs flashed to a manual because something in the fuel tables look at the 4L60 to help determine how much fuel to add. I also want to say the idle in the autos is a few hundred rpm lower than the manual cars.
I could be mis-remembering though.
I've done a couple of these swaps, it's pretty straight forward. measure three times cut once, yada yada yada.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

your OBD1 PCM will work. You just need a tune for the M6. Ed Wright @ www.fastchip.com, or others, should work.

I did my B-body 4L60E/T56 and it looks/drives as if it came from the factory. I would suspect a F-body would be the easier since they were built as stick car models.

you may have to tap into the 4L60E harness to capture the 2 wires for reverse lock out to work with the PCM tune to work under 3mph...or just wire the solonoid to the brake pedal to activate.

Given the many F-bodys doing the swap I would assume there are very detailed write-ups as to how to do this swap includeing wiring.