Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5th Grinding When Not Warmed Up...Hydrolic or T56 Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 5th Grinding When Not Warmed Up...Hydrolic or T56 Issue?

A brief history...I've had an intermittant 2-3 issue for a while (synchro?). I've been to the track with it a couple of times over the past 6 weeks and I had ONE issue during each visit on the 2-3 shift when it wouldn't take 3rd. The last visit, I tried to force it into 3rd and it just wouldn't go and I did put some force behind it before I gave up and just went on to 4th and let it coast the rest of the run. I'm running an LS6 clutch with a new slave that both only have about 7K miles on them. I'm putting down 385 RWHP and managed a 12.6 @ 112.4 the same night I tried to force it into 3rd with no luck...I'm NOT powershifting either.

I'm now having issues with an intermittant grind when going into 5th gear. It does it on the upshift and downshift into 5th. It seems to only happen when I first take the car out for the day. After everything warms up, the grinding seems to go away. I replaced the ATF fluid last weekend to see if that did anything and the problem is still present.

I've used the search and from what I've read, it could be anything from a bent fork or bad pads, to synchro in the tranny, or it could be a hydrolic issue too...

Any thoughts on my problem? Would a Tick Adj. Master Cylinder do me any good? Or, maybe even try the drill mod before spending the money on the Tick? Or, is it just simply time for a rebuild? Why is it only doing it before it's warmed up?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it sounds hydraulic, i would start with the drill mod and GOOD clutch fluid. NO cheap auto zone stuff that has been opened for the last year. These are pretty well known for the 2-3 problem with hydraulics. 5th sounds like a synchro but take care of the known issues first.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...I guess my main concern is that in trying to force it into 3rd, did I "over-shoot" and do damage to 5th? If something is bent or damaged in the T56, then it would be an issue every time, right? Or can something bent still cause intermittant issues? I'm hoping it is just hydrolic...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With a slightly bent 3-4 fork it is possible to have intermittent problems. The problem is always there but seems worse at times simply because of how you are shifting. you will eventually have to replace the fork and i would recommend using bronze fork pads.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A problem in a specific gear is not hydraulic. The 3-4 fork wallows the hole for the shift rail; it doesn't bend per se. And it has nothing to do with a 5th gear specific problem. Could you have gone 2-5 instead of 2-3? Sure.

Yank your trans. and inspect the blockers, keys and pads on 5-6. Cracked pads are my guess.

Warmer fluid could just work better for the blocker ring friction material against the cone which is part of the gear. Colder fluid might flow slower and prevent the grabbing mechanism of the friction material (think of brake pad material; some work better when warmed up.)

You shoulf have the drill mod done on any 98-02 F and have the hydraulics properly bled for best clutch operation.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt waste my time with the drill mod,, i went right for the tick master and never had this problem again,it was kinda a PITA to install but well worth it