Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

After repairing my T56, it won't go into 6th...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After repairing my T56, it won't go into 6th...

Last spring my car was having some transmission issues so my father-in-law helped me pull it out of the car and fix it. We replaced the following parts:
-3-4 Synchro Keys (replaced with billet keys)
-3-4 Synchro Rings
-3-4 Shift Fork (stock wasn't broken, but upgraded to Viper steel fork)
-Reverse Shift Rail (almost had the transmission back together before we realized the original was bent slightly)

After we got it all back together and installed in the car we realized it would not shift into 6th gear. The shifter acts as though no gear is there. The trans also grinds occasionally on 3-4 shifts, usually on the first or second 3-4 shifts of a drive. I drove the car around all last year this way with no issues other than having to leave it in 5th instead of 6th. I really want to fix it now though. Any ideas to what might be causing these two problems? I'm sure they are unrelated, but would like to fix both if I'm tearing down the trans again.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you left the snap ring out that retains the 5/6 fork to the rail that could be the 6th gear problem. 5th gear would work, but when 6th is selected the rail would just slip through the hole in the fork. Otherwise, you should make sure that the 5/6 rail assembly isn't loose where the part that fits over the interlock plate isn't loose from the rest of the fork. Its bonded somehow from Tremec and I've seen a few break loose which would prevent 5th or 6th gear from engaging properly or even at all.

If you're getting a grind on 3rd or 4th gear only when the trans is cold for the first few shifts, I've found that you may have too much preload on the input/mainshaft, the cluster gear, or both. Otherwise you should check the obvious....make sure the clutch disengages properly.

Quick Reply: After repairing my T56, it won't go into 6th...