Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help! Trying to flush out clutch fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Please help! Trying to flush out clutch fluid!

So I'm trying to flush out my clutch fluid. I had an issue with my clutch you guys help me diagnose in another thread that it was probably due to my extremly dirty clutch fluid that has 111,3xx miles on it. So I pump up the clutch, open the valve, and push the clutch down. Nothing comes out. No fluid, no air, nothing. I've been doing this for several hours now and now I'm pissed. My clutch won't come back up, it sticks on the floor once it's depressed and it has used no fluid. I have no clue what the hell is the issue. the origina issue I was having was my clutch pedal sticking on the floor at wot. Why won't my clutch bleed any fluid?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so I found that the fluid line between the reservior and the slave cylinder was pinched between the brake booster and the wiring harness that runs there. I disconnected the line at the transmission and fixed the pinch. I pumped up the pedal and pressed in the black peice in the line. Fluid is getting that far now. I reconnected it to the transmission, pump it up, and open the bleeder valve. Still nothing. No air, or fluid. I don't know what to do know.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Buy an Automatic..

The Slave might have a piece of crud in it..take the Bleeder off and try blowing the slave out with some Air pressure..I did that once and it cleaned it out.

Remove it and install a Speed Bleeder..
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so I get up this morning not nearly as pissed as usual and go to work on the car. make sure no lines are messed up, the reservior is filled and I pump up the clutch. have my wife hold it in and I open the bleeder valve. The system starts to moan and groan but no air or fluid. So after we repeat this for amost an hour the clutch starts to become firm again and will spring back to the top on its own. Now keep in mind this entire time, I havn't seen any fluid coming out of the bleeder valve. Then all of a sudden the pedal goes soft again. So we keep repeating the process. It gets firm but still no fluid. After a while, pedal goes soft again and now its pooring fluid from out of the bottom of the transmission through that square hole in the front. What do I do. This system has 111,xxx miles on it and I can only assume it's all stock. I don't know what to do now because this started as nothing but a fluid flush and it's turning into a night mare. What shoud I do now guys? This is my DD and if can't get to work tomorrow my first sergeant won't be hapy.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slave cylinder blew out most likely.
The fluid not coming out was the first problem.
Likely so much crap has built up in there it was clogged somehow.
Too long to wait for flush in that case.

If it is pooring from the bellhousing now, need to drop the trans & put a new slave cylinder in it.
Would suggest a master too if it is really that bad.
But you sticking to the floor WOT, is it a stock clutch?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrencher
The slave cylinder blew out most likely.
The fluid not coming out was the first problem.
Likely so much crap has built up in there it was clogged somehow.
Too long to wait for flush in that case.

If it is pooring from the bellhousing now, need to drop the trans & put a new slave cylinder in it.
Would suggest a master too if it is really that bad.
But you sticking to the floor WOT, is it a stock clutch?
I'm not sure if its the original clutch. I can only assume it is. It really wasn't my choice to wait so long on the fluid change though. I just purchased this car back in February this year. Well I just let it sit without screwing with it now for about an hour and it has stopped leaking fluid and the pedal is stll somewhat firm and doesn't stick on the floor any more. It doesn't feel as firm as it did earlier this morning when we were doing it. I'm wonderng if somehow I got air back in it? Should I just try bleeding it again and see if it firms up real good again? If have to drop the trans it's getting eveything, and I just don't have the money for that kind of project right now.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay. So after a while of letting the car sit without touching it I went back out there. The pedal was nice and smooth and felt good so I buttoned everything up and went for a drive. The clutch feels very smooth and actually shifts better than it did before. Also, the fluid leaking out of the bellhousing has stopped, and the fluid level retains itself. Guys I've never had an issue like this before. I'm confused, any ideas?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Okay. So after a while of letting the car sit without touching it I went back out there. The pedal was nice and smooth and felt good so I buttoned everything up and went for a drive. The clutch feels very smooth and actually shifts better than it did before. Also, the fluid leaking out of the bellhousing has stopped, and the fluid level retains itself. Guys I've never had an issue like this before. I'm confused, any ideas?
Not sure but I've been dealing with a similar problem the past week after a new Master cylinder install... it's like I could never get it bled right. Even had it hooked to brake flush machine for 15 minutes. Then all of a sudden, I got in to go to work one morning and it went into gear just fine. My pedal still feels very soft though...
Old 05-08-2011, 06:44 PM
wrencher

Lots of times when bleeding sometimes the fluid still runs thru down into the bellhousing.
Maybe your slaves's bleeder is restricted somehow.
It will leak fluid at the threads of the slave/bleeder when loosened & that's where it was coming from.
But for sticking a pedal down full throttle the stock pressure plates where known to cause issues.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

as much as youre not wanting to hear it, it really sounds like you need to drop the trans to get at the slave cylinder. The hydraulic design in these cars is known to let clutch dust penetrate the seals and contaminate the fluid. Just like cholesterol clogging up an artery, it sounds like a clump of it could have just stopped up your slave. a replacement slave might fix it, but youll have to look at it to find out.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Okay. So after a while of letting the car sit without touching it I went back out there. The pedal was nice and smooth and felt good so I buttoned everything up and went for a drive. The clutch feels very smooth and actually shifts better than it did before. Also, the fluid leaking out of the bellhousing has stopped, and the fluid level retains itself.
Was this after you called me and did what I told you..lol..

I'm confused, any ideas?
And you used to work for GM..
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

So after a letting it sit all night and putting about one hundred miles on it today, the clutch feels smooth and the fluid has stopped leaking. I can only assume it's good to go but I'm still a little set back by the experience. Any last thoughts before I render it good enough to beat on again.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you pump the clutch pedal while bleeding did you open the bleed screw before depressing the pedal the last pump? because i had the same issue as you did and then i tried pumping the pedal 6 times and the last time held the clutch in, and then cracked the bleeder. I did this until the pedal was stiff and works just fine now.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I've been driving it for a few day now and I haven't had any issues. It has quit leaking out of the bell housing and the fluid level has remained the same. The only thing I have noticed is that the fluid in the reservior has starting having little foating pieces of crap in it. I've just been pulling them out with my finger. I'm thinking that trying to flush it out may have busted up whatever crap was in it especially since the line between the reservior and the master was pinched completely blocking fluid flow. I'm thinking I may give it another try this weekend to see if I can get any fresh fluid out of it down at the bleeder.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Stop ******* with it, it's working..leave it be.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Stop ******* with it, it's working..leave it be.
At wot the pedal sticks to the floor and I can't get it out of the gear its in and when I do it won't go in any other gear. Obviously something is fucked up.

Last edited by 94Z28-MSTGKLR; 05-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm...sounds like the Slave might be bad.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

After 110,xxx miles of neglect from the original owner I think its just time to replace the whole system.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I had a somewhat similar problem. My car drove fine then i got in the turning lane to turn and when i went to take off car wouldnt move, almost as if clutch wouldnt disengage. But clutch never disengaged or anything... Im lost on it. It has RAM spec 3+ clutch and flywheel, and RAM slave cylinder and slave cylinder shim.. Hummm

Quick Reply: Please help! Trying to flush out clutch fluid!