Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2007 z06 transmission factory rating and how much will it hold??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007 z06 transmission factory rating and how much will it hold??

Okay, looks like I may have bought something I shouldnt have.

I bought an aftermarket T56 with a factory rating of 450 torque.
The guy I bought it from says it was beefed up to 600 torque.
I called Tremec to find out what bellhousing to use as the unit I bought (Tremec model 1386-000-011) came with a plate installed on the front of it. Tremec sent me to Rockland Standard Gear, who told me the my trans would not hold up to my power output (which is 560 motor hp NA). I told the tech at Rockland that the guy that I bought it from said it was beefed up to handle 600 torque. He replied "I doubt it" and told me which bellhousing to use and that I should go with a T56 Magnum and sell this trans, which I dont want to do at this point as I bought the trans for $1500.00. The trans still has the shipping plugs in it and has never been installed.This has been a nightmare as I have got many different opinions, even wrong part numbers for bellhousings to bolt to it.
I have an RM6036 Quicktime housing here I cant use.

Can anyone tell me what the stock 2007 z06 trans was rated in ft lbs of torque from the factory??
Also, how much power have you heard of someone running with it and the transmission still holding up? I dont know why my stock 450 torque rating wouldnt hold 500-525 torque, as I hear Tremecs were underated?? Please help!

Last edited by Blevinator; 10-10-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

500 or 550.

The -011 shares a great number of parts with the 1993 M29 (ratios, mainshaft, countershaft) and there's no reason for it to be rated 450 while the M29 was rated less.

The Z06 trans is a great transaxle-mount T56 with a LOT of changes required to convert it to engine-mounted use and slip-yoke output. (I have one apart right now waiting on parts. Cost effective when you're concerned about $1500, it's not.) The front adapter plate lacks a place for the slave cylinder, it doesn't bolt to a standard bellhousing and is wider than the one on your a/m T56 which already needs clearanced in some cars to clear firewalls. The shift linkage is different except for a select few pieces. The tail of the trans has a too-long mainshaft and a housing to adapt it to the differential in the Vette that's quite different from a normail tailhousing.

If you can sell yours to someone who is fascinated by using old bellhousings (60s and 70s car guys; that trans. even bolts up to BOP bellhousings w/ the Muncie pattern,) that would be your best bet.

There's no input shaft to easily convert yours to LS_ use.

Quick Reply: 2007 z06 transmission factory rating and how much will it hold??