Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch high rev expectations

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch high rev expectations

I've got the 2002 CE TA. Only mod I'm aware of is a Texas Speed MS4Cam.

This may be nothing more than a learning experience for me. As in, I don't know the 'normal' behavior of how a clutch should perform when pushing 6k+ rpms. I'm not a mechanic by any means. Just lucky enough to have found a CETA I could afford.

I drove it 2nd gear 60mph @ ~5700rpm then shifted to 3rd. Then I felt the clutch only release back out MAYBE 1/3 of the way. Yep, it was like it was stuck 2/3rds down. It still functioned as I shifted to 4th but it was like it was stuck almost on the floor. I then pulled off, turned around and went back home. It functioned but just didn't release all the way. I'm thinking this isn't 'normal' behavior.

The car cooled down and all then all was normal.

Can anyone please enlighten me on how it should perform at those revs?

What should my expectations be?

Appreciate any insight here.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine would stick down on high shifts also. As a noob, I tried a new slave, bleeding, line drill mod, but I never solved the problem till I changed the pressure plate. Many believe that the stock plate fingers get weak with time and the centrifugal force exerted on the plate at 5500ish RPM's cause the PP fingers to stick. I have always suspected its a problem with the adjuster ring in the PP that GM put in these cars. I think during a high RPM speed shift, the adjuster ring moves and causes the problem. At any rate, the BEST solution IMO, is to switch to an aftermarket clutch with a non adjustable pressure plate.
There are many vendors here that can help you out with one to suit your needs. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

lol, search around a little. I think just about everyone with the T56 has or will have this problem. Check out the Tick adjustable master cylinder. Does wonders for just about everyone with these cars, me included. May want to look into getting a decent aftermarket clutch too if youre making some power with that cam. Lots of sponsers here have some good deals.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Mine would stick down on high shifts also. As a noob, I tried a new slave, bleeding, line drill mod, but I never solved the problem till I changed the pressure plate. Many believe that the stock plate fingers get weak with time and the centrifugal force exerted on the plate at 5500ish RPM's cause the PP fingers to stick. I have always suspected its a problem with the adjuster ring in the PP that GM put in these cars. I think during a high RPM speed shift, the adjuster ring moves and causes the problem. At any rate, the BEST solution IMO, is to switch to an aftermarket clutch with a non adjustable pressure plate.
There are many vendors here that can help you out with one to suit your needs. Good luck!
Thanks for the information. Sounds plausible to me. Now if I only knew what you were speaking of.

Quick Reply: clutch high rev expectations