Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help! IDK what I broke!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! IDK what I broke!

I was driving home tonight and jumped on 1st gear and hit 2nd and nothing happened. So I and pulled it out and back in and I was able to drive off. Then I heard a couple clunks and then my ABS light turns on and then off and then my traction control light (which I don't have since it is a '98) came on and then off. At some point my brake light came on too. I then stopped at a red light and the engine was idling fine and everything seemed OK then the light turned green and put it into 1st and nothing. Then I tried second and nothing. Then I thought to try reverse and nothing. So I immediately think rear end. I push the car into a parking lot and just try again and I had reverse and then tried 1st and had it and then all of a sudden in all gears nothing. I put the car in 1st and tried to rock the car and it stayed still. I tried again and when I put it in gear I got a loud slam in the rear end like it was engaging the gear with the clutch pushed in but would go and then I would disengage the clutch and re-engage and nothing. I later tried putting in 1st and I was able to freely push the car backwards and then I could go again. I thought maybe the diff or gears again but it just does not make since to me. It just seems like the noises that I heard came from the tranny. The car has 384 rwhp on 555r with McCleod clutch and 10 bolt on 68,000 miles. I knew that at some point I would break the rear but I just don't think that is it. PLEASE CHIME IN WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS. I will pull the trans next weekend if I have to but would like some diagnosis help before I just take stuff apart.

Last edited by 98sscammed; 05-15-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Double check shifter bolts first.

If you're sure it's not slippage (look for smoke / smell,) At rpm in gear, pedal up, the car should move in 1st. If it does then slows down / halts, you might find breakage at the clutch disc.

General wear / break down of the synchro-to-gear teeth would lead to more of a "pop" out of gear, not a quieter "doesn't move" situation.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

While I just had a hunch and took the diff cover off and I blew the diff gears to pieces. I knew it would happen at
some point but I just dropped $1500 on nitrous.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, your first post stunk of 10 bolt failure.

Quick Reply: Please help! IDK what I broke!