Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild nightmare story, who's to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default t56 rebuild nightmare story, who's to blame?

Well, here's my saga. I bought an 04 cts-v last october, by the following november, 1st and 2nd gear would grind intermittently. I installed a new master cylinder, slave, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, shifter bushings and transmission mount, all in an attempt to not need to get my transmission rebuilt. It was a failed endeavor, however. The transmission came out this february, and I took it to a guy my friend knew that fixes them.

1st rebuild; he used all "fatsco" brand parts, they were like 890 bucks total between the syncros, blocker rings, fork pads, etc, and a 1-2 hub gear. Worked OK I thought, except he broke my reluctor wheel and I had to buy a new one. I tapped the new one on lightly with pvc and a rubber mallet, and installed the transmission. 1-6 worked fine, I had no R. Took it back and he fixed it. 1200 dollars

2nd time; all gears work swell for a week or so. 2nd gear falls apart and grinds like mad (from me tapping the reluctor wheel on apparently, I still don't buy it), i took it back to him, he gave me a new input shaft, I bought the front pocket bearing and shaft seal, and he tore it down for 300 bucks. He also "cleaned up" 2nd gear, as apparently the reluctor wheel tapping broke a spring clip, and that's what made 2nd break like that.

3rd time; transmission bangs into/pops out of reverse after a week (he insists its not synchronized), a few months later (around 1200 miles) I start grinding into 2nd again. I replaced my slave cylinder, had my clutch and pressure plate out and looked at, and they all check out fine. Oh and I bled the clutch.

What I want to know is, how do I isolate the clutch as a cause of 2nd and R acting funky, also, with most parts being new, what is it worth to look at this and fix this thing?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can isolate the clutch release by some rpm on level ground with the pedal down, but you can't isolate poor driving (I'm not blaming you; I'm just saying.) That said, it does take a little bit of time for mild but poor driving to kill 2nd and reverse. Usually not just a few short months.

There is some "doesn't make sense" in your cause & effect relationships but that may be misunderstanding between the both of you.

As I tell anyone who brings me one, I can't tell you for sure what it's going to need until it's apart. With the questionable work done previously, it's not going to be a known amount until that point.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
3rd time; transmission bangs into/pops out of reverse after a week (he insists its not synchronized)
major red flag! the guy has torn into 3x now and he still doesn't know reverse has a synchro? you shoulda sent it to a reputable shop the 2nd time around. I looked to get mine done locally at first when I had it rebuilt and was running into the same prob, I knew more about the T56 then the shops I was bringing it to did
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ia m in need of a rebuild as well so I've been reading about all the sponsors here, so many to choose from lol. I would call one up and make arrangements to send it off

With that said, can someone tell me who has the best warranty for a t56 rebuild?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Launching!

+1 for a reputable shop.

I spent $1,700 (including removing and installation) for a stage 3 "Viper Spec" rebuild. Here we are 8 hard months later and its still as it was on day #1.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Launching!

not sure if i misread it but it sounds like he didn't check the end play. if he keeps putting new parts in it and the same things keep happening i'm betting he either didn't replace the friction pads or make sure the end play was in spec.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

he said there was an extra 3,000ths of extra end play in the shaft (iirc, i'm 99.999 percent sure it was 3,000ths) from where 2nd gear was damaged by the spring clip
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RADEoN
he said there was an extra 3,000ths of extra end play in the shaft (iirc, i'm 99.999 percent sure it was 3,000ths) from where 2nd gear was damaged by the spring clip
should be under 2,000ths at max!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I took it to a guy my friend knew that fixes them.
Thats when happens when you have a a guy like that work on your T56. Doesn't even sound like he gave you that good of a price. You would of paid that anywhere else, plus got it fixed right.
Best advice I can give it is to send it to Jason at TDP and call it a day..You will get it shipped back to you ASAP, and he is a very honest guy. Prices are very fair as well.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nobird8991
should be under 2,000ths at max!
well i guess the spring clip etched into the gear and wore it down and that's why it was so high, i asked him if we could replace the gear while it's apart, and he didn't have time to let it sit there for a few days while we waited for a gear.

A lesson lived is a lesson learned.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since many of the parts are new, we could take a look at it and replace what is necessary. Give the shop a call tuesday and one of the guys in the office can give you a labor only price. 704-660-5843

Quick Reply: t56 rebuild nightmare story, who's to blame?