Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 reverse problem

Going into reverse is a little touchy, I have to hold in in position, sometimes it jumps out even doing that.
I was suggested it was the wear plate on the fork, any other ideas or is this a pretty solid idea?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, its likely the fork pads. They can wear out/break off causing this issue. When this happens the fork can recieve some wear and be damaged as well. Depending on how much it has been popping out of gear or grinding the gear itself may be ruined. The syncro can be flipped over and used on the other side which will still be new as long as the trans has never been rebuilt and had this done already.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guy before me said hes never touched the transmission, the only time it pops out is when I'm not thinking about it and don't hold it in place (guess i should have left that part out) just something else to learn while replacing the shifter.

How easy is it to get to the fork on the T56?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

The reverse fork is pretty easy to get to. You will want to stand the transmission up pointing input shaft down. Most people who build these regularly have a transmission vice to build off of but you can use a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the lid in a pinch. You will need to remove your shifter base, under the shifter there will be a shifter block with a small rollpin holding it to the shifter shaft. Drive it out and remove the shifter block. Then remove all the tail housing bolts holding the tail housing to the main case. Once you have the tail housing off and remove the reluctor wheel, bearing and reverse gear then you can remove the reverse synchro assembly. To remove the reverse fork you will need to remove a small snap ring off the shifter mechanism. Then the fork will come out with the synchro assembly. Once you get it out you will need to gently pry the metal ring out of the hub that limits the movement in one direction. Take that ring and install it on the other side of the hub and reinstall the reverse synchro assembly with the fresh side faceing the rear of the trans. Inspect the engaugement teeth on your gear and the blocking ring. The reverse blocking ring in these transmissions are bronze and can wear out faster than the rest of the rings. I would go ahead and put a new ring in it for good measure while you have the trans down that far.

Hope this was informative enough for you to get it fixed.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gonna have to be a weekend project at my grandpas since he's got a lift. Find these parts at any auto part store?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
Gonna have to be a weekend project at my grandpas since he's got a lift. Find these parts at any auto part store?
no. maybe some gear distributors MIGHT have them or can get them. or rpmTransmissions might sell them. i get my stuff from D&Dperformance.com
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

right on thanks for the heads up
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

If you end up needing any parts just let me know.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will do, haven't taken a trans out in about 3 years so this ought to be interesting
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Just FYI D and D has the cheapest online parts. I ordered once when my local distributor was out.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, thanks freefallen.1
Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

No problem. As someone who builds these things, I try and find the best deals to keep cost down. My local distributor is a lot cheaper when you start adding it up..lol
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
Just FYI D and D has the cheapest online parts. I ordered once when my local distributor was out.

this is true. i drove 30 miles to a gear shop "locally" and ends up their prices were about 10% more then d&d. but i needed the part asap due to forgetting to order one thing while assembiling a trans. do what you gotta do.

p.s. trans is easy to take out. not so much to put back in tho lol
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM

I often have a problem getting into reverse. Generally putting it into first gear, then immediately into reverse solves this li'l problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine actually went right into reverse yesterday, I was astounded, the first time ever since I've got the car. I'll try this 1st to reverse and see what it'll do for me, thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nobird8991
this is true. i drove 30 miles to a gear shop "locally" and ends up their prices were about 10% more then d&d. but i needed the part asap due to forgetting to order one thing while assembiling a trans. do what you gotta do.

p.s. trans is easy to take out. not so much to put back in tho lol
Dont you hate that. Thats how I found D and D. My local was out but cheaper, oh well it all worked out. I agree going in seems to be a little tricky..lol

Quick Reply: M6 reverse problem