Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some quick help with my clutch hydraulics... (installing new master cylinder now

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some quick help with my clutch hydraulics... (installing new master cylinder now

I just finished putting in a new clutch, and a shop installed a new slave cylinder a week ago, right before I took it apart myself. I'm putting everything back together right now, got the new master cylinder in, tried to bleed it out, but I got zero pressure on the clutch pedal after several bleeding attempts. Fluid was coming out the bleeder valve each time I bled it, but still no pressure.

The thing that concerns me is that I was under the assumption that with the master cylinder hydraulic line disconnected from the slave, you shouldn't be able to push the cylinder in. However, I can easily push the piston in by hand. Could this mean my brand new cylinder is bad out of the box?

What could be the problem? What else should I check for? The only thing I can think of is that I did the drill mod on the cable while I had it out. I was careful to keep the cable straight, but maybe I somehow nicked the inside and broke a small hole in the cable? I'd think I'd see fluid leaking out of the cable though when I pump the master... plus I can blow air into the cable and it doesn't leak... although it may take more pressure than I can apply.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrdLock
The thing that concerns me is that I was under the assumption that with the master cylinder hydraulic line disconnected from the slave, you shouldn't be able to push the cylinder in. However, I can easily push the piston in by hand. Could this mean my brand new cylinder is bad out of the box?
This is correct. If the quick connect is NOT connected to the slave, the pedal should not be able to move. You either have a leak or the seals in your M/C are shot.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you bleeding it? Sometimes if you are not thinking people have made simple mistakes like not closing the bleeder when pulling the clutch up off the floor.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
How are you bleeding it? Sometimes if you are not thinking people have made simple mistakes like not closing the bleeder when pulling the clutch up off the floor.
Push pedal down, open bleeder for a second, close bleeder, pull pedal up, pump a few times. Repeat.

If what Blwn_by_Twins says is true though, I've got a problem with the cylinder or hydraulic cable though. I just went and exchanged the cylinder for a new one, so I'm going to try and connect the cable up to the new cylinder and pre-bleed it, and see if I get pressure on just the master.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could aso push in the master if disconnected and had air in it. It wouldnt be rock hard, but it would move
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
This is correct. If the quick connect is NOT connected to the slave, the pedal should not be able to move. You either have a leak or the seals in your M/C are shot.
oops! I was told otherwise. It will go down with enough force but will blow your O-ring out of the quick connect
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Did you have resistence when you depressed the pedal without the line being connected? What the pedal super-stiff. If so then you probably pushed through the seals.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^if that was towards me
I couldnt push it down so I assumed it had to be hooked up. I got under the car to push the inner plastic back and my friend got in and pushed it really hard....before i got to push the plastic in. So the **** got all over me lol. The o ring came half way, out. Pushed the ring back in and the clutch pedal moved as if it were hooked up.

Master and hose are out of the car now. I posted a topic about the hose
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Yep...it will cause a mess!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So that may have been the reason I was getting no pressure once everything was back together???

I dont wanna jack this guys thread, Can you check my post out?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ual-trans.html
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

good luck. i have plans to replace my clutch master after work tonite. the only part i'm worried about is bleeding the system when its all done.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
good luck. i have plans to replace my clutch master after work tonite. the only part i'm worried about is bleeding the system when its all done.
Dont pull to hard on the hose. Pull the actual quick connect fitting. I was pulling both and my hose pulled right out of the fitting.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
Dont pull to hard on the hose. Pull the actual quick connect fitting. I was pulling both and my hose pulled right out of the fitting.
cool, good point.

question, do you put the car up on jack stands?

also, i talked to a guy about my master pssoibly being bad and he was saying something about jacking up the front of the car to get something.......the call cut out, but i think hew was refering to bleeding it.

any body know? i may just call him back.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bench bleeding and cutting a hole next to the gas pedal. Make sure the hole lines up with the bleeder. You can pump the clutch and turn the wrench all while in the car.

I have mine off the ground. You will need to be able to get under the car and still be able to work from the top, under the hood.

Search for the drill mod too. you will wanna do that too

Quick Reply: Need some quick help with my clutch hydraulics... (installing new master cylinder now