Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!!! Transmission noise, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Transmission noise, what do I do?

Help, I have a transmission whine and I don't know what to do.

I just completed a T-56 conversion on my 99 Hugger Z28. it's my first t56 I have been rowing gears for a week now. I had no problems what so ever driving it around town. Tuesday I took it out, beat a Mach1 from a dig, let my friend who has 20 years stick experience and owns and dailies a stick cobra with a BIG turbo have a go at it and it didn't make noise for him. I continued driving it all week cause it's my daily, no problems. I took it to the track for the first time today and made 12 passes down the 1/4 in a 4 hour period. I let the car sit for 20 minutes while I rehydrated cause it was a zillion degrees outside and when I was driving home from the track I noticed a whine coming from the undercarrige.

It's got to be the transmission because it isn't constant. It only happens when I'm in motion and it stops when I press the clutch in, even if I'm still rolling. So, before I freak out and panic thinking I've just broken the transmission I purchased not 60 days ago and only had installed just LAST WEEK, I figured I'd ask you guys what I should do or what you think the sound is.

So far, my friends have said, "Don't panic, it's just the transmission fluid, try changing to synthetic." and "Don't panic, it's just a throwout bearing, it's no big deal, but you gotta drop the trans again to fix it."

So far, my response is not to panic, but I am cowering in a corner crouched in a puddle of my own urine. so...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How loud is the whining?? The T56 is not a quiet transmission to begin with, and with the windows up/radio off you will definitely hear some gear/bearing whine. Thats normal for a large high performance trans.

Are you sure its not the rear diff thats whining?? After running at the track, 10 and 12 bolts are notorious for getting audible gear whine.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

The whine is pretty damn audible. It's loud enough to hear over the sound of my X pipe duals with bullets and turndowns with the windows down at 50mph. Even louder when I'm driving next to a barrier cause the sound reverberates (like over a bridge). The transmission is a Tick stage 2 and wasn't wining before. I had 3.73 gears that used to whine. I broke those and I'm back on another stock 10 bolt. If it was the rear, the whine would be speed dependent and constant so it's definitely the transmission. Besides, it sounds like it's coming through the floor near the firewall.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If it doesn't go away in 4th gear, replace the slave / throwout bearing assy.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a throw out bearing to me is ur car hard to get into gear grind shifts anything of that sort
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

I've noticed it's more difficult to get into gear but I just thought my arms were really tired from shifting hard at the track all day and the heat exhaustion.

so, throwout bearing. gotcha. What are the potential problems if I don't fix it like, immediately and continue to drive the car to work? Not beating on it, just normal street usage.

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 06-06-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE and follow-up questions:

Sorry it's been a while, but life gets in the way, you know. So, just an update for anyone else out there that might run into the same problem. The problems I was having were caused by the Transmission not being adequately filled with transmission fluid, (now the shifts are much easier and the whine is much reduced) AND the linkage between the clutch pedal and the hydraulics was poorly assembled, one twist in the wrong direction that the threaded aluminum tube came off in my hand. It's no wonder I was having to try to push the pedal through the floor to get it to shift.

Since then, I haven't been to the track yet, but the shifts are much improved, the pedal engages and disengages properly and I'm hoping that I won't have to completely granny the hell out of it to get down the track now.

Just in case anyone else posts that they're experiencing this kind of problem, tell them to check the stupid stuff first.

That said, the car lights the tires like nobody's business.

Incidentally, How much fluid is supposed to go into the t56 and can it be completely properly filled from the bottom fill point, or should I actually remove the console and shifter and add more? When I filled it, I jacked the car up till it was completely off the ground on the passenger side and then I pumped till I got a good bead of fluid running to the ground. The trans still makes some whine, predominantly in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears, but it disappears at WOT (or is just drowned out, lol) and I want to make sure, short of taking it back out of the car and tearing it down, that I've done everything I can do. It was suggested to me that I change fluids from the crappy ATF that I got at NAPA to the awesome $7/qt synthetic stuff that says, "*FOR USE IN GM VEHICLES ONLY" on the label. I forget who makes it, but I think it's Mobile. Does anybody out there have any experience with it, or any other suggestions?

PS, thanks to Jake Lamotta of Lamotta Performance who diagnosed the problem. He's a great guy, even if he is a Ford fan.

Oh, and a F.U. to the guys at AAMCO Transmissions who examined my car like they'd never seen an F-body before. Seriously. I drove the car in fine, the technician, couldn't drive a cammed car and kept stalling it. it was freakin hilarious! The first, and LAST time I ever take any car I own to them.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

BUMP!!! I Also would like to know about filling it too

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Transmission noise, what do I do?