Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 is not happy ~ Advice ~

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My T56 is not happy ~ Advice ~

the trans is making a unhappy sound when it is not under load. clutch in, clutch out, in gear, out of gear. don't matter but it does not make the sound when it is under load.. it changes pitch when I move the shifter into a gear. it kinda sounds like a fast spinning bearing if you know what I mean...

I noticed the sound after my third pass.. I was half way into my burnout in the box when the dude shut me down cuz the car in front of me left some parts on the track. I then did a second burn out the tires seemed to start to stick so I let off. launched like usual and spun quit a bit and nothing unusual until I noticed the sound coming back to the staging lanes. it drives fine just makes the noise when not under load.

sound changes very little in pitch with higher speeds
makes the sound with the clutch in and out if not under load
only makes the sound when moving

the trans is a Dr. Evil built T-56 it has a LS7 clutch and flywheel.

what can I expect to pay for a diagnostic and repair if it is mainshaft/output issue?

I would prefer Finish line Transmissions as I have heard nothing but good things about them and they are local but I dont know if they would like working on another shops trans...

if I dont go with FLT and recommendations keeping in mind I am on a tight budget

gonna pull the trans this week and bring it in as soon as I scrounge up the money.

oh and ******* RACE CARZ

Thanks

Last edited by jdhedman; 06-06-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for sound, could be the pilot bearing, I am no expert but it MAY not be internal. You could check the fluild and inspect for shavings or "glitter/glint in the fluid.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

yea I plan on checking the fluid when I get the trans out
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like it is only making the noise when the mainshaft is turning. Does the noise stop at all in any gear? If not it could be a few different things. I would recommend getting it looked at asap tho because the longer you wait the more damage it could be doing. We offer parts and labor repairs. You could send it down and we could tear it down and inspect it and quote the repair for you. Our turnaround time is about 1 week right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

It does it in every gear unless under load ( didnt check reverse) the car was driven back from the track and has been sitting since.

I will defiantly keep you in mind
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

really trying to keep it local to keep costs down as I am on a budget , any advice is welcome
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull it and inspect, and if worse, take it somewhere. I figure once you ship it, might as well expect to have it fixed. To me its bonkers to pay shipping 4 times.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Pull it and inspect, and if worse, take it somewhere. I figure once you ship it, might as well expect to have it fixed. To me its bonkers to pay shipping 4 times.
Shipping 4 times? If he ships it out hopefully whoever he ships it too will give him a fair price and he won't have to ship it 4 times....
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's unusual for aT56 to make such a sound, but it's probably something simple. If you're going to ship the trans, then we are very reasonable priced. $275labor plus parts for a complete teardown/rebuild.
My advice would be to pull the trans/clutch and inspect everything for an obvious problem.

Quick Reply: My T56 is not happy ~ Advice ~