Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod street twin in LT1. Not much pedal travel to engage clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Mcleod street twin in LT1. Not much pedal travel to engage clutch

Long story short I had my clutch master installed correctly but a shop had it out (to fix a leak) and put it back on "wrong".

The clutch pedal needs to be pushed almost completely to the floor to start the car, but while driving the grabbing point is with my foot barely touching the pedal. So I have like 5 inches of unused pedal travel. What's going on? Also I have heard a little clutch noise if I do try to press the pedal farther down while shifting.

I know I need to call Mcleod but I can't do that until later.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to push it all the way down to start the car because it has to hit the clutch safety switch, not sure if that was a question or if you were stating that but either way future readers there you go

if it adjusts in the same fashion as the tick (threaded rod) I would bring it back down almost as far as it goes, start the car in neutral and see if you can get it into first and reverse easily. if it doesn't, bring the pedal up a bit and try again. once it goes into gear easily sit with the clutch pushed down in first and rev to 6k rpm, if the car lurches bring it up a bit, and repeat. if it doesn't the clutch is fully disengaging and you're done.

I would avoid driving the car or at least pushing the clutch in all the way, because if you overextend the pressure plate it can do permanent damage
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
you have to push it all the way down to start the car because it has to hit the clutch safety switch

if it adjusts in the same fashion as the tick (threaded rod) I would bring it back down almost as far as it goes, start the car in neutral and see if you can get it into first and reverse easily. if it doesn't, bring the pedal up a bit and try again. once it goes into gear easily sit with the clutch pushed down in first and rev to 6k rpm, if the car lurches bring it up a bit, if it doesn't the clutch is fully disengaging and you're done. repeat as necessary.

I would avoid driving the car or at least pushing the clutch in all the way, because if you overextend the pressure plate it can do permanent damage
I barely touch the clutch while driving it. My other car got wrecked and is getting repaired (not my fault) so I'm stuck driving it for now.

Quick Reply: Mcleod street twin in LT1. Not much pedal travel to engage clutch