Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???

Bought my camaro with 135k miles, and when I pulled my T56 to swap in a new clutch/flywheel/etc, I found what should have been a pilot bearing but was actually just a worn out race and bits of rollers piled inside. (Don't worry I replaced that also!)

Basically my question is, how much wear on the input shaft is 'acceptable' before needing a rebuild?? I reassembled everything and have put over 1000 miles on the new parts but sometimes I have some clicking noise from the bell housing when the pedal is pushed down at all. Drivability is fine, but I'm just a little concerned and REALLY not looking forward to the possibility of having to have my trans shipped off and rebuilt. This is my DD and only vehicle
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

PS. this is the only pic I have showing the input shaft after I had the trans out. Tried to zoom in and save as a new image but it wasn't working for me...
Attached Thumbnails How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???-inputshaft.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:37 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you already put it in, so be it.

In the future... only put the pilot bearing in as far as it needs to be so the rollers are properly on the input as the inner race.

And there's nothing wrong with the old bronze bushing that was used for decades.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

jmd, I know what you're saying as far as placement of rollers and everything... I installed the new pilot bearing that way. I was just curious about the wear from the old bearing being well, not a bearing. BTW I have a new pilot *bushing ready to go in next time I have the trans down... been thinking of taking it all apart to inspect everything since I've had that noise coming and going. I have no fluid leaks, but occasionally the hydraulics act up and I'm thinking the budget O'reillys slave I installed may already be shot.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the clicking you hear is the pilot bearing. I would be concerned with the shift issues though. An old fashioned bushing may work better with a worn pilot journal, however. It won't last as long as if the journal was smooth but the rough finish may be too hard on the needles in the bearing assembly.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The input shaft isn't really rough, its just worn down slightly. Instead of a " | | " shape, it's more of a " ) ( " shape... although nowhere near that drastic. First pic is the new bushing vs. the old bearing race that I pulled out of the crank. Second is a close up of what my 'pilot bearing' looked like when I found it. Basically just a race with what seems like some melted/ground up needle bearings smeared all around it?
Attached Thumbnails How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???-img_0401-1-.jpg   How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???-img_0402.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

calhoon, do you think that clicking could be related to the release bearing?? Like I said the sound is MUCH more pronounced when the clutch pedal is pressed at all. And as of yesterday it's boggling my mind even more because it's now intermittent... :scratching head:
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

To the top...
Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HVYMTL
sometimes I have some clicking noise from the bell housing when the pedal is pushed down at all. Drivability is fine, but I'm just a little concerned and REALLY not looking forward to the possibility of having to have my trans shipped off and rebuilt. This is my DD and only vehicle
Originally Posted by HVYMTL
calhoon, do you think that clicking could be related to the release bearing?? Like I said the sound is MUCH more pronounced when the clutch pedal is pressed at all. And as of yesterday it's boggling my mind even more because it's now intermittent... :scratching head:
Sure sounds like it could be to me. It's worth inspecting it and replacing the release bearing IMO, inspecting the trans. by spinning the input and inspecting the pilot bearing while you're there.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I have a brand new release bearing (one came on my new slave, and one with my clutch kit) ready if needed, and I'm gonna pull the pilot bearing and replace it with a bushing also. I'm kind of expecting to find either a bent or broken finger on my pressure plate. Either that or the self adjusting garbage has misadjusted itself to the point of not being able to fully disengage... IDK. We'll find out the next saturday I have open to tear it down.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

does it come stock with a roller bearing or bushing? i thought i had a slightly worn bushing on my 140k clutch swap but hope it wasnt just a blown out roller bearing lol
Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was a bearing. I couldn't tell it used to be a 'bearing' until I put my finger in the crank where it came from and felt the little pile of broken rollers... how did your input shaft look?

Quick Reply: How much wear is 'ok' on your input shaft???