Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 2...helping a friend

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Stage 2...helping a friend

So my buddy just had a monster stage 2 put into his 06 goat. He had some concerns afterwards and had me test drive it today to see what I thought. It's been in for a month now and he baby's the car. At first I noticed it was much more difficult to disengage than I thought it should be....definitely doable...but very heavy. The full disengagement point for the pedal was pretty much at the floor. In 1st...engagement started with the pedal just barely off the floor and chattered when baby'ing it...but was a VERY quick engagement with a lot of soft pedal above the engagement point.

One of his concerns was full disengagement with the pedal at the floor....personally I think that's solved with an adjustable master cylinder. Am I off base? Would that adjustable master cylinder help with the pedal "heaviness" at all? Maybe something to do with a leverage angle???? I wouldn't think so but asking anyways.

The chattering I remember reading before about from Monster where they said the owner just needs to go out and beat on the clutch a little. The fact that he baby's his car when driving probably is the reason the chatter still hasn't gone away...right? He needs to go crazy for a little bit? I mean...if he won't I will!!!

So with that said...one BIG concern I had was going in reverse...specifically backing into a parking spot uphill and the clutch was cold. By cold I mean it did this consistently for about 3 times...but then went away. Now I'm not an idiot and know how to drive a M6....but dangit everytime I started backing up to park I would literally HEAR the clutch slipping and smell it too...bad. I found it hard to believe as the pedal travel from disengagement to full engagement is maybe 1/2"-1"...but when going in reverse it was slipping to where I definitively heard it and smelled it. Now I know a clutch is designed to slip in exactly that movement...but I've never heard one or smelled one as bad as that in the past. However as soon as I tried it about the 4th time...I didn't hear is slipping anymore nor did I smell it anymore.

Bottom line question is will an adjustable master cylinder fix both the pedal heavyness and engagement positions? And as far as the chatter and sound/smell in reverse....does he just need to go beat on it a little bit? I want to tell him he needs the adj master and to beat on it...but wanted to confirm my thoughts before suggesting something to him that might not be the best solution. Monster reps..you out there?

BTW...I didn't clutch dump his car as obviously it AIN'T MY CAR!...but when I shifted normally to slightly aggressive (not babying it) the clutch felt AWESOME and grabbed REALLY strong! I had planned on sticking a stg 3 in my car since my stock clutch is dead now after my performance upgrades...and after feeling this stg 2 I can't wait to get one out on the autox tracks!

Last edited by 98_TA_EMLC; 06-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the clutch grabs at the floor it may need a shim under the slave. The seal in the slave is pushed out far and an adjustable master may help but only pushes the seal further and you risk a leak or blowout. Aftermarket masters wll generaly slightly stiffen the pedal, which should be light and smooth with the current setup.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the pedal is soft up top then you need to rebleed the thing, as it should engage about mid way through the pedal travel. It isn't fully disengaging on the floor and should be addressed asap. How many miles on the set-up? The clutch can have some chatter initially as the surfaces may not be perfectly parallel and need to time to wear and mate fully. Also the smell would be from the friction material being heat cycled from slipping which is part of the break in process as well. Feel free to have your friend call us if he has any more questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Thanks Chris for the reply! Yeah he's got about 2k miles on this current setup. His name is Ed and I just showed him your post. He said he'll rebleed the system and give you a call afterwards.

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 2...helping a friend