Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help-sometime sticks in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help-sometime sticks in reverse

...This isnt a constant problem, but every now and then after i move the shifter out of reverse and into neutral or 1st gear the tranny is still in reverse. If i put it in 1st and try to move the car boggs down and doesnt move an inch. If its in neutral its still in reverse. Ive been able to put the shifter back into reverse, then neutral to get it out of reverse, but dont know if that will always be the case.

I didnt think it was possible to be in two gears at once, but it is apparently. I am just afraid that i could potentially damage something, or maybe one day not be able to get it out of R. Any advise would be awesome, thanks everyone.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any ideas? Its spurradic in its occurance, its only happened 3 times in 500 miles. I want to at least know what could be causing it, or if its going to get worse...Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

...No ones encountered this issue? ..i guess i just wont worry about it, it seems to shift fine in every gear otherwise...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The interlock linkage will not allow two gears at once unless you break a fork. That would not cause an intermittent problem but more like all the time. The bogging , as you describe sounds like a damaged bearing / thrust surface. This is not a good situation. I suggest you get into it for a fix.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I just replaced all bearings and shimmed them to spec, just put 500 miles on everything. I know it should be impossible to get into two gears at once, but the other gears 1-6 shift flawlessly so i dont see how it could be a bent/broken fork...no grinding or anything either. Ive done a few pulls of moderate throttle, quick shifts and it felt great...I guess ill drive it till i break it, or i have some down time.

Thanks for the ideas

Last edited by all-AM-muscle; 06-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

OK so, now this is a constant problem and i urgently need advise!! it shifts very smoothly into and 'out' of reverse, but it stays in reverse no matter what. I took the access panel off where the linkages all connect (i also made the top of my tunnel removable) and everything seems fine, moves smoothly...So, does anyone think that I can just take the tail housing off without taking the trans out of the car to fix it? heres a picture of the reverse synchro out of the trans and installed:

Nothing looks strange to me, the untrained eye. Could the thin, curved spacer between R and the brass blocker ring be too weak, keeping it engauged??? or maybe the bushing in the tail section for the shaft be bad? thanks for any help, im pretty screwed rite now and need an idea of what may be wrong before i make the commitment to try and fix it here, away from home

Last edited by all-AM-muscle; 06-28-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

It has to be in the rail assembly for 5-6-r. I would pull the unit a part since you have it this far. Inspect the area of the shift rail assembly where it rides inside the main case on the guide bolt. The pieces come welded together and its possible that the welds broke. Its rare but I have seen it before.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

The issue is that I don't have it apart that far. It is all together in the car, those are old pictures...do you think it's going to take more than just removing the tail housing to fix..i looked a bit deeper on the searches, could it be a snap ring popped out??...if its more than removing the tail housing I'm going to have to find some time to go home to our shop. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by all-AM-muscle; 06-28-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Honestly, I would just drop the thing and open it up. Screwing with it in the car is more of a pain in the *** than its worth. Get it out and on a table so you can see what the heck is going on.

Its possible the snap ring that holds the fork on popped off the rail too. I made the comments about the rail because I thought you already had the tailhousing off and inspected the rear.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

gotcha, thanks for the input. I got the thing unstuck from R and drove it to a friends house to take the tail housing off. Like i said it shifts flawlessly into 5,6th so i feel that isolates the reverse snap ring stuff as the ussue instead of the rail...

Id honestly like to just take the whole thing out of the car as well, but due to work and school i wouldnt have a clear oppurtunity to go home (two hours south) for another two months. The tail housing is very accessable in the car, so hopefully it goes smoothly; Ill let everyone know what i find
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

...Well i didnt get to test it out (waiting for rtv to set, but since i found the snap ring like in this picture i would have to believe thats the issue: Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

That would be the issue!

Quick Reply: help-sometime sticks in reverse