Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master cylinder bleeding question HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder bleeding question HELP

So I have the infamous sticking clutch pedal, so I did my research and decided to do the drill mod and bleed the system. Everything went pretty decent, the quick disconnect was a bit of a pain, but I work on helicopters so this wasn't as much of a pain as everyone made it out to be.

After all this, it still sticks. Only thing is though, we only 'pumped/bled' it about 12-13 times. I thought it was good because all the dirty fluid was gone and it was just clean fluid coming out of the bleed screw, and the clutch was feeling good, and we were running out of time at the shop so we wrapped it up.

Did we not bleed it enough? Or is the problem deeper than I thought? After driving it back from the shop I did notice the clutch felt lighter, but it could be my imagination.

Notes that might help: While bleeding, my friend would push the clutch all the way down, I'd crack the bleed screw for about 5-6 seconds and let the air/fluid coming rolling down my arm, then I'd tighten the screw up and he'd release the clutch pedal, but it wouldn't come all the way up, he'd have to manually pop it up. Is this normal? Right after that he could push and release it without it sticking, then we'd bleed it again and it'd do it again, every time.

Please any help is appreciated.

C.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

It'll stick with drill mod. my friend has drill mod and after a run he has to pump the pedal. You also don't have the 01-02 MCs that I believe are a bit better. I have a Tick MC and I love it, but my pedal was sinking in after a hard run but I believe it was the stock clutch, just put in an LS7 clutch and it already feels better.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

I can't even race at the track with it like this because if its sticking, then it will partially engage and I'll roll forward. I sometimes even with it too the floor I can't even get it out of first gear without shutting the car off, letting off and putting my foot under the clutch to bring it back up, then starting it back up and rolling out. If i hold it down too long while in gear it'll stick, so I'd have to start in neutral and try and time it right.

So you think its the MC or the clutch or just needs bled more or what? I think next weekend I'm going to try and bleed it more anyway. I can't afford a clutch right now, and a new master cylinder would put me further behind on my plans for my exhaust. Ideas?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its your master. It's seals are already on its way out.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

See the JMD method of clutch bleeding:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13837919-post3.html

If that fails you, then you need to troubleshoot things other than bleeding.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I'll try jmd's method this weekend, after driving it for a couple of days its actually really alot better, making me think the jmd method might actually fix it completely. If not I'll look into replacing the MC. thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
See the JMD method of clutch bleeding:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13837919-post3.html

If that fails you, then you need to troubleshoot things other than bleeding.
jmd you're a life saver. Your method worked, I hardly know what to do with myself with a working clutch. Thanks a million bro.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you very much for letting us know.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder bleeding question HELP