Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Extension / Tailshaft Housing Installation *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extension / Tailshaft Housing Installation *HELP*

Last week I noticed my t56 had the infamous tail housing leak so I took off the extension housing and re-RTV'd it. When I went back to install the housing it was about 1/4in from going on, which I assumed was dowel pin tension. I tightened it but then it wouldn't shift into any gears.

I disassembled it and rechecked everything over again making sure the 5/6/R fork slid into the hole. It was then 1/8in away from going on. With the 1/8in gap the transmission can shift into 1-2-3-4 and 5-6 sometimes but it's very difficult. After tightening the bolts to seal the housing's 1/8in gap it will not shift into any gear without massive amount of force.

What am I missing here?

I have gutted the housing (removed reverse idler and yellow oil thing with bearing) and I still have the same problem.

Could I have bent the 5/6/R rod or is it possible it's stuck in hear?

Notes:
-Shifts fine/output shaft spins freely with 1/8in gap, but once tightened with bolts cant shift and output shaft wont spin.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The countershaft extension bearing outer race tends to fall down out of the tailhousing.
Use trans. assembly grease to hold it in after you get it re-set in there.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What JMD said plus there is the reverse shift rod that has to be aligned to the rear housing or it wont go on. Take a screwdriver or some other skinny tool and just lightly push the rod up to align it and the case will easily slip back on. Dont forget to reinstall the two magnets.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been going off of this manual.

http://cs.pontiac-club.com/graphics/...viceManual.pdf

I have greased 132 ad 130 to seat them and aligned the tip of 122 (5/6/R) fork into the case.

I noticed that it will shift into 1/2/3/4 fine with the case separated by 1/8in but not 5/6/R . I noticed slight marks around the hole where the 5/6/R goes in where I'm guessing from when I tightened the case with the bolts without having everything aligned. I lightly sanded the hole to deburr it and made sure the tip of the shift fork was round but it seems as though it is still jammed.

The transmission is currently in the car, I'm afraid I may have to take it all out.

Is it possible to bend the tip of the 5/6/R fork?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Listen to what jrd1972 has posted that is your problem, the part he is talking about only needs to be pushed up about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch and the extension housing will pop into place, I have done this repair on several units while the transmission was still in the car.

Quick Reply: Extension / Tailshaft Housing Installation *HELP*