Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issues

Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch issues

Car is a 1999 trans am, My spec 3 started to slip after many many miles of abuse. I purchased a new spec 2 and also got a deal on a ram billet steel flywheel. I installed my new clutch and flywheel and the clutch would not disengage, I removed the transmission and installed .180 worth of shim (my kit did not have a shim in it but I am told it should havehad a .180 shim in the kit). I still was not able to disengage the clutch and the pedal felt terrible. I removed the trans and measured for the shim as instucted by spec. My measurements are pressure plate to bellhousing 2.18 inchs and trans to release bearing 1.97 inchs (spring removed bearing pushedto case with bleeder open) so I do 2.18 - 1.97 and get .21 the specified freeplay is .175-.225. My measure of .21 says that Ishould be ok. I installed the trans with no shim and found I still had no disengagement. Now Im think Maybe I killed the slave, I purchased a new slave from the dealer and installed it, remeasured and got the same measurements and installed the new slave no shim.
Still have no disengement, pedal feels normal I have power bleed quarts of brake fluid through it. Im not sure what to do with it. The clutch master is less then a year old.
Im open to any ideas.

Search this Thread