Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2004 GTO failed three slave cylinders within two months?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO failed three slave cylinders within two months?

hey guys im not sure if im posting this the right way so if im not, correct me as ive never used a forum before.

anyways i have a 2004 gto. manual trans. i bought the car a few months back. shortly after i bought it my slave cylinder went out. (clutch fluid bottom of bellhousing). i bought a new slave cylinder from Monster clutch. i had a nearby shop put it in. a few weeks of driving. it fails again. i called monster clutch and the part is still warrantied. they send me a new one. i just got finished up putting everything back together and the slave cylinder fails again. ive searched and searched on google and what not to find a solution. none prevail. im going to give monster clutch another call tommorow and see if they cant help. im not sure if another part on the car is causing it to repeatedly fail or what. any help is much appreciated. thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it leaking each time or failing in some other manner the last two times?

First thing to come to mind is whether it's shimmed properly which should keep it from overextending.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 AM

No. It just keeps leaking. And by shimming, you mean a shim between the slave cylinder and the transmission right? If so, there's nothing between the two. Its just metal to metal.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

When the trans. comes out this time someone will have to take some measurements. LS1GTO.com has some good info too. If the slave is being over extended (needing a shim) it will have problems as you have described.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had this same problem with my friends 04' His 06 doesnt seem to do it. Im interested to see what you found out.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

get a slave from the dealer they are around 175.00.
if you paid alot less than that then you bought an aftermarket one. all the after market non gm t56 slaves that weve installed at my shop leak sooner or later. i wont put non gm slave in unless the customer provides their own part. no warranty on labor.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot68
get a slave from the dealer they are around 175.00.
if you paid alot less than that then you bought an aftermarket one. all the after market non gm t56 slaves that weve installed at my shop leak sooner or later. i wont put non gm slave in unless the customer provides their own part. no warranty on labor.
All of our slaves are purchased directly from AP who makes them for GM. I don't remember this customers name, however, we do not sell cheap aftermarket slave cylinders. We purchase in LARGE quantity and that allows us to pass the savings on to you, this is exactly what we do.

Just wanted to clarify.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO failed three slave cylinders within two months?