Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stuck clutch, not the bleeding problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck clutch, not the bleeding problem

I did replace my clutch today and it went smoothly, changed the pilot and throwout bearing as well but not the hydraulics.

I did the work myself in a friends shop using one of their lifts.

Drove back home (80 mile trip) and everything worked just fine. Parked the car out in the street and went in for supper. When I came back out to drive it in to my garage the clutch pedal was stuck. I was able to press it down once to move the car a bit and turned it off to move another car. When I got back in the clutch pedal was about half way down and stuck. Rock solid, when I pressed the pedal it was really firm and the master started to leak fluid on my foot. No way I could get the clutch working. I had to push it in to the garage by hand (with help from a neighbor).

I got a feeling that the throwout bearing has stuck, or some thing.

I have had the pedal on the floor problem, but then you can at least move the pedal. This time the pedal is stuck!

Anyone familiar with this problem??

Car is a '69 Camaro with LS1/T56 from a 2001 Camaro SS.

Thanks

Jan
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

You may have gotten some trash somewhere in the line when you changed your clutch. I would pull the line and blow air through it from the trans to the res without being hooked up.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make certain that the hydraulic quick disconnect is fully engaged. There is a check valve that will not allow fluid to pass if it's not plugged in all the way. Check this and report back.

**EDIT** I realize this is not a 4th gen car, just hoping it's something this simple and assuming that you used hydraulics from a 4th gen...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I have been thinking that just that could be the problem. It felt like the connection engaged properly when I put it back, it might have gotten loose in some way.

I will check it tomorrow and report back. Yes it has the hydraulic clutch from the 2001 Camaro as well. It's a complete conversion made five years ago.

Jan
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
I have been thinking that just that could be the problem. It felt like the connection engaged properly when I put it back, it might have gotten loose in some way.

I will check it tomorrow and report back. Yes it has the hydraulic clutch from the 2001 Camaro as well. It's a complete conversion made five years ago.

Jan
I'd be willing to bet you that is your issue. It happens, especially when the dang plastic piece gets worn!

Let us know!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I'd be willing to bet you that is your issue. It happens, especially when the dang plastic piece gets worn!

Let us know!

Sorry I didn't take you up on that bet.

It looks like the check valve in the connection was stuck and therefore blocked everything. That could maybe depend on that the connection has slipped out a bit. When I disconnected it from the clutch housing it felt like it was there as it should be. It didn't move anything.

Anyway, the pushrod got bent when I was trying to press down the clutch so I need to replace the MC, I have one on the shelf so that will be OK.

When I disconnected the hose the MC worked and moved properly.

The checkvalve was stuck in the connection and after loosening it the hose flows as it should.

I will reassemble everything later today and see how it works. It might end up with a replacement of the hose. Do they sell them as a spare part or do you need the complete MC-kit?

Thanks

Jan
Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Update on my clutch problem.

I mounted the other MC and started to bleed the system. Went on for a while and I got fluid through the system.

BUT, when I started to get some resitance in the pedal it suddenly got blocked again.

So something is wrong here. The connector can be pushed in a little bit when it is mounted. Is that right? or should it sit more solid in the socket?

Could the slave be bad? or is it just the hose?

Jan
Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

I did away with the quick connect fitting on my S10 swap for this very reason. I used Russel fittings # 640281 and a russel 36in - 3an stainles brake line #632490

Here is a link. Its not my truck, but its what i did to mine.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f143/c...cement-364171/
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tip!

I have ordered the fittings from Summit, they were ready for shipment.

Jan
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

good deal, let us know if it fixes it.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

Well, now I have got the parts from Summit and installed everything. Had the slave out and it moved, attached the new fitting and hose.

When bleeding I get movement in the pedal when I release pressure.

BUT when the pressure builds up the pedal gets totally stiff and my mastercylinder braket starts to give away. If I press harder I bend the bracket or the pushrod.

So i am back to square one.

Could the problem be in my brand new pressure plate? Could it get stuck like this? Strange since it worked without any problems when I drove it home from the shop. But after I had parked it it was solidly stuck.

I didn't look at it when I had the gearbox out.

Help I am stuck here...

Jan

Quick Reply: Stuck clutch, not the bleeding problem