Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bled the clutch dry, by accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bled the clutch dry, by accident...

So, i was bleeding my clutch with tick speedbleeder, cause at times it got spongy. BUT, I accidentally pump the clutch one too many times, well, more than one really cause by the time i realized what i have done, the reservoir was empty.

I bled the clutch many many times already, but when I press the pedal and left the tranny in gear, it sticks to the floor, especially the reverse gear.

any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rebleed the system
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
rebleed the system
I did, many many times. But it seems that there is a pocket of air stuck inside the system. Last night, i tried re-bleed the clutch, and now I cant even go into reverse.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

squeeze the line going down to the reservoir to "burp" out any air stuck in there, I bled my clutch for 2 days with no pedal return at all, burped it once and instantly had a pedal. also search for the "jmd" method, that's a pretty efficient way of getting the air out. you run a line from the slave bleeder back up into the reservoir so the same fluid gets cycled through the system over and over, and any air bubbles out when it reaches the reservoir. and you can try a mightyvac if all else fails, but I still don't think they're the best option.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
squeeze the line going down to the reservoir to "burp" out any air stuck in there, I bled my clutch for 2 days with no pedal return at all, burped it once and instantly had a pedal. also search for the "jmd" method, that's a pretty efficient way of getting the air out. you run a line from the slave bleeder back up into the reservoir so the same fluid gets cycled through the system over and over, and any air bubbles out when it reaches the reservoir. and you can try a mightyvac if all else fails, but I still don't think they're the best option.
Thanks!! I shall try this tonight. If all else fails, I'll replace the master cyl this weekend and do a bench bleed.

wish me luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gravity should help the bubbles come to the top depending on how far down they got. Try pumping the pedal mulitiple times with the bleeder shut and see if any bubbles pop up in the master cylinder while doing this.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Launching!

UPDATE:

I re-bleed the clutch again, during the bleed, i noticed that when my wife press the pedal, fluid did not come out gushing, more like part air part fluid. But, if i close the bleeder, i have a good pedal feel. I tried pumping the pedal with the bleeder closed, and noticed air bubbles keep coming up. Tried this for 5 minutes, and air bubbles kept coming out, small bubbles, but still bubbles none the less.

is my master cyl on its way out here?

Quick Reply: Bled the clutch dry, by accident...