Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need HELP fast!!! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need HELP fast!!! PLEASE

I am putting in a new clutch on the C5 and need some help! I have the exhaust off, the headers unbolted for clearance and the torque tube cover undone. I need to lower and move the tranny back. First... do I need to mess with the shifter? and what all needs to be disconnected to lower the rear crossmember with everything together? If anyone has the answers or has done one PLEASE post back or maybe msg me our phone # and I'll call you? I just don't want to break stuff! THANKS GUYS - Dan
Old 02-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Launching!

If its anything like and F-body(i did clutch yesterday) you have to remove the shifter. Not sure about a vette tho. The tranny will have to be able to slide back about 6 inches in order to drop strait down. Unless you have a tranny plug in the back of the ranny preventing fluid loss. If thats the case all you have to be able to do is back the tranny out a little bit to clear the clutch friction disc and then lower the *** end of the tranny. This is all on an F-body tho. Ive never seen the underside of a vette.
S
Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks Streak, believe me, you don't want to see it! What a nightmare today was. It's a lot of work. The tranny is in the rear and the driveshaft is hidden behind the exhaust and then a plate with about 40 bolts and inside a torque tube... I am still having a problem getting the throw out bearing hydraulic line to pop back on. I believe those are similar. Is there a tool used to get these to go together? Thanks again for your experience info! Wish it was all I needed today
Old 03-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Launching!

NP. and gluck with the rest of the install. are you talking about the braided hose line that goes from the master to the slave? is the tranny back up to the engine? when i put the tranny back up to the engine after installing the clutch. i had to release the pressure that was built up in the slave after we mounted the tranny back. nothing but air came out(was brand new). The reason behind this was that when we reinstalled the tranny it put the slave under pressure which will prohibit your quick connect line from entering the slave. once the pressue is released it should go in fine.
S
Old 03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks Streak, on the C5's the transmission is in the back of the car and the bellhousing and clutch are up front - seperated by a torque tube that holds the shifter linkage and the driveshaft.... good technology, headache to get to!

Yea, the line I was talking about is that one. It's very similar to the F-body line with the plastic sleeve that pulls back to release it. I have the clutch in and the slave bled (I think!), I decided to go with 4.10s in the rear so I am gonna put them in and put the whole thing back together. Maybe done tonight or tomorrow. My problem is that I always find stuff to clean or modifiy or mess with when I get that far into ripping the car apart! LOL. Thanks again man, I appreciate the info - Dan
Old 03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crazy C5 Cowboy
My problem is that I always find stuff to clean or modifiy or mess with when I get that far into ripping the car apart! LOL. Thanks again man, I appreciate the info - Dan
np man.
I know exactly how you feel..the job is never done....
S

Quick Reply: Need HELP fast!!! PLEASE