Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Rebuild/Upgrade Finished (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T-56 Rebuild/Upgrade Finished (pics)

Well my buddy and I just finished rebuilding my transmission.
Here are the highlights:
1) Just because you have nothing really noticable wrong with your tranny there is nothing seriously wrong! My tranny while having 145,000 on it shifted fine, didn't have any noticable vibrations or make any wierd noises. I thought I had a mechanically sound transmission! GUESS AGAIN! The 5/6 cluster had eaten half of the teeth width into the mainshaft.

So, theirs a 5/6 cluster and mainshaft already and I'm not done tearing it down.
6th gear syncro dogs didn't look so great.

The good news in this; AHH the viper mainshaft upgrade was now in the works.

2) Tranny had gotten pretty hot at some point in its life probably low on oil before I owned it. Craig at Liberty Gears said all the gears look like I should consider changing them or at least polishing them. 3rd gear was toast due to syncro dogs as well. But heres the rub I didn't package the gears with enough wrapping and they must have banged around during shipping to Liberty for Cryo treating and shot peening the dogs. So, my countershaft had a couple dings in it and 6th gear which had the bad dogs got "chipped" probably from hitting the countershaft. So, $200 for polishing overheated gears and dremeling them or $700 for all new gears. Oh, well my fault for the shipping issue and the stupid shall be punished.
End result! New part: Viper mainshaft, input shaft, 2nd, 3rd, 5/6 cluster, 6th gear, Plus new 5/6 synchro slider/hub. Gears and Shafts CRYO , dog teeth shot peened, hubs/sliders REM polished.

Tailhousing viper mod'd, speedo gear mod'd, new yoke, billet shift fork levers. $2250 later on top of the $950 I already had in new parts, bearings, syncros, billet keys and forks etc.

a) Viper shaft next to my original

b) Output seal comparison

3) Billet keys look pretty rough so I polished them. I took the picture with one like the come.

4) Don't believe what they tell you my transmission has no vibration and I'm running the bronze cup for the shifter and bronze fork pads. I polished them too.

The transmission is awesome I couldn't be happier. It really has no noise or vibration and shifts very crisp. I have about $500 miles of behaving before I'll take it to the strip.

Quick Reply: T-56 Rebuild/Upgrade Finished (pics)