Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 2 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Stage 2 Clutch Question

So I got my Monster Stage 2 clutch installed and everything seems to be going fine with one possible hitch. I hear a small grinding like sound right after the clutch is engaged some times. I mostly notice this when I am slowing down to make a turn and I'll downshift into 3rd gear and sometimes right after a start from first. It's happened in other gears now and then but those two are when I've noticed it the most. I've been babying the hell out of this thing and have maybe 75 break in miles on it of the stop and go in town driving they recommend. It may just be my imagination too but I swear the thing is getting more grabby as it's starting to break in. The noise is not really a big deal because it only lasts for a few seconds while accelerating and goes away. If it's just the way the clutch is or part of the break in that's fine. I only bring it up because my stock clutch started making the same sound before I blew it. Just wanting some input.

Also, the best I can describe the sound would be like dragging a crowbar on a concrete floor. Not a real deep reverberation, I can't feel it in the stick, just a light grinding. When my car first started doing it on the stock clutch I thought part of my exhaust had come loose. Let me know if you guys need anymore details that I forgot to mention.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch will grab harder as it fully seats in with break in making complete contact. I'm not sure about the noise you're describing, but it could be the friction material heat cycling. Give me a call if the noise persists after break-in. Chris, 817-750-2000