Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny or clutch???

Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny or clutch???

I have an 05 gto car makes 360/363 and any time I make hard pulls 4th gear won't engage. It doesn't grind, it just bounces off like it's hitting a wall. I heard it's the clutch and I should prolly just get an ls7 clutch. Would that be the right path or am I looking at it being more trans issues than anything ?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean you can't shift into 4th? I DOUBT that its a clutch problem, if its only happening in one gear. Sounds to me like your 4th gear synchro is shot.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like you are having a disengagement problem with your stock clutch if you're talking about it happening after running through the first few gears. I'd address it asap as if you continue and don't already have a synchro problem you will. Start by making sure the hydraulic fluid is in good shape and full. If it is, then it may be time for a new clutch. I'd recommend upgrading to a Monster Level 1 over an LS7 as it's a better overall design from disc to pressure plate and you can combine it with an 18lb Lightweight Flywheel to free up some power to the rear wheels and allow the engine to rev faster.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Sounds like you are having a disengagement problem with your stock clutch if you're talking about it happening after running through the first few gears. I'd address it asap as if you continue and don't already have a synchro problem you will. Start by making sure the hydraulic fluid is in good shape and full. If it is, then it may be time for a new clutch. I'd recommend upgrading to a Monster Level 1 over an LS7 as it's a better overall design from disc to pressure plate and you can combine it with an 18lb Lightweight Flywheel to free up some power to the rear wheels and allow the engine to rev faster.
thanks for the info, you have an email about clutches
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for Monster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny or clutch???